Is it fair to say that LINUX OS is 100% secure.

It is very hard to say that our PC is cent percent secure.

We all know that protecting our networked PCs are never ending challenge.

We think that for LINUX OS we don't need any security measure.

What do you think is it fair to say that LINUX OS is 100% secure.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    who says Linux is 100% secure ? 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sushant005
    It is very hard to say that our PC is cent percent secure.

We all know that protecting our networked PCs are never ending challenge.

We think that for LINUX OS we don't need any security measure.

What do you think is it fair to say that LINUX OS is 100% secure.
    Well, Windows 7 is fairly secure when it comes to viruses and malware. Of course virus programs have been written to corrupt the OS. Same applies to unix based systems. Ultimately Virus is just a software program that does bad things when run. In unix based system, the security levels are deep and its not easy to penetrate them. But it will be foolish to say its 100% secure. No system in the world can ever be 100% secure.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I second Big K. Linux is safer because most viruses are written as .exe files. And .exe don't run on linux unless you use wine. But malprograms for linux can and are written.
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    I haven't heard anybody telling LINUX is 100% secure!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    whoever says that is 100% amateur linux user!
    Linux differs from windows in context of customization of almost everything.
    Linux has the advantage that it has a much less user base & therefore less attacks.
    Moreover you can harden your linux box security much easily & to a level not less than any other OS!
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    Not exactly 100 percent but close to it, if we take some steps for securing system.Again, the only 100% safe machine is the one that's unplugged, as exploits are discovered everyday and ones that are unknown to you are somewhere out there on the horizon. If you follow secure updating and maintenance practices, if you're running an effective firewall and if you've allowed for intrusion plus a periodic rootkit check, you can safely leave the machine on its own for the night (or the day, whatever your habits are) and sleep soundly - because your machine is running Linux.
  • think
    think
    raj87verma88
    I second Big K. Linux is safer because most viruses are written as .exe files. And .exe don't run on linux unless you use wine. But malprograms for linux can and are written.
    +1 most of the worms and viruses are written for windows so Microsoft keep providing updates and patches to keep secure which can be totally omitted in case of linux
    moreover to carry out jobs in linux u require certain programming skills which everybody doesn't have so its bit on a secure side 😀
  • grvrulz
    grvrulz
    Those who say Linux is an OS are mistaken. Linux is a kernel modeled after MINIX which was based on UNIX Design. Linux kernel combined with GNU tools and utilities and the Shell make a complete OS called GNU/Linux.
    Now about the question. Everyone who says that anything is 100% secure is ignorant. And everyone who says its hard to maintain and requires programming has never used anything else but Window$. Its true that GNU/Linux is the most secure and stable thing on the planet, its not like saying that it does not require security measures. While windows generally runs everything as an administrator(UAC is a piece of crap), GNU/Linux, like every UNIX based system, has a very strong user/file permission policy. In GNU/Linux and variants/derivatives, each file, directory, device etc are treated as files of different types and therefore have strong permissions applied on a per-user and per-group basis. Also, every user is not an administrator and general computing tasks are run as a normal user, not administrator. Any user, even if he gets a virus, cannot corrupt anything on the disk other than his /home directory, because of permissions.This makes intrusion extremely difficult and thus the system is less prone to viruses, malware etc.
    Some people may say that because so less people use GNU/Linux and variants, people dont make viruses for them. But the fact is that Google, Yahoo and a number of other major corporations run GNU/Linux on ther thousands and thousands of servers around the world. In addition to that, the most popular Server stack for hosting websites and web services is LAMP(Linux Apache MySQL PHP/Perl/python), which runs more than 2/3 of the Internet. What else could be a more live proof.
  • grvrulz
    grvrulz
    Please see these

techrights.org
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    @4M4N - Ya! i am agree with you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Degrees offered in BITS Dubai B.E. (Hons.) Computer Science B.E. (Hons.) Electrical & Electronics B.E. (Hons.) Electronics & Communication B.E. (Hons.) Electronics & Instrumentation B.E. (Hons.) Mechanical B.E. (Hons.) Chemical...
hi friends, anybody have idea about what is DRM protection? and why it is applied? and how to remove this DRM protection? 😁
As we know china has completely banned google ,but today i read somewhere that some chinese are still using google through virtual private network? Is it really possible ? what...
Hi, i am writing the CDS exam-II to join Air Force Academe.. So please suggest me something if you know about IAF exam procedures...
I might sound a little out of herd, but I am not for for team events during official working hours. But there is a constant enphasis made that participation in...