Is IMDB the Best and accurate method of knowing the quality of films?

Ho CEans,I have a long doubt on this question.My friends introduced me about the IMDB-International movie database.Its quite awesome website having all the features and details of all the films and all language films.There exists a link providing the top 250 films in the world cinema which was scored by a compact and simple calculation with the help of viewers voting.It lists Shawshunk redemption at the number one position followed by godfather 1 & 2.The lists expands and I also agree that the system really works out.Now due to technological development and internet users im India best Indian films also find good rating from the data bases.The voting , the critics votes and best reviews make it the best reference webportal to know about a film.
At some times I find it to be false.Whats your take on this?Can we completely trust IMDB to know the film and its quality.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Not exactly. For example I think there are a lot of better movies than "The Shawshank Redemption". Different people have different mindsets. As the number of users on IMDB is too much, so you can take an average. For me, if anything has a rating of more than 7.0, I give it a shot. Lower than that, not worth watching!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, if your taste is same as that of the 'crowd' - you may rely on IMDB ratings. The world believes that Chennai Express and My Name Is Khan were great entertaining movies; but I thought they were boring. The ratings, at the best would give you an idea of what people are interested in; but it may not 100% reflect whether you'll have the same opinion.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am fond of 'western' movies. (Yeah, I love those old-school cow-boy movies more than any Genre) I tend to look on IMDB for ratings, however my favourites & IMDB's top, matches upto first three rank.
    My cousin thinks Harry potter series is best, while I think 'The Good,The Bad & The Ugly' is best.
    It's all about 'taste' you know.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    95% of the time IMDB is quite accurate.
    but actual figure you can see after clicking on the link of number of users, just below the rating bar.
    See ratings demographic breakdown of chennai express (actual rating 6.5) 42% gave rating 10, 13% just rating 1 and others are scattered. This clearly shows that there is paid reviews and also intentional negative review. (Any way I can't able bear this movie for 15 min 😲)
    Now see the rating of Troy, that is pretty much accurate and distributed as actual rating.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am fond of 'western' movies. (Yeah, I love those old-school cow-boy movies more than any Genre) I tend to look on IMDB for ratings, however my favourites & IMDB's top, matches upto first three rank.
    My cousin thinks Harry potter series is best, while I think 'The Good,The Bad & The Ugly' is best.
    It's all about 'taste' you know.
    I agree man.Those background sound tracks............
    Every old indian cow boy movies had copied that........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook is slipping a lot on Twittery grounds! The social network recently launched the #hash-tag feature, which formed the heart of Twitter, and now it's planning to pluck a major...
I've been recently told that there are no walk-ins organized by the companies. Most of the recruitment happens through campus. Gone are the days when companies like TCS, Cognizant, Wipro,...
The following is a brief summary highlighting the main differences of these fuels. Much more comprehensive details of the fuel properties and compositions is available from other web sources and...
Would love to have opinions on whether we should have stricter rules on the signatures. I see some of the signatures are so big that they penetrate your eyes. Should...
A start to the new generation of emission less vehicles. Siemens and the Vietnam Motors Industry Corporation (Vinamotor) are launching the first hybrid bus with a combined electric/diesel drive in...