Is doing Higher studies better than Work experience?

Hi everyone,

I have fininshed my B.E in Mechanical Engineering. I have been selected as Trainee in Mahindra and Mahindra. I'm thinking of doing MTech. But my doubt is if Work experience has higher value or high ranks? I mean if I joing a company and work for two years, then i'll be having two years experience. But if i do MTech, it'll also take two years. So after two years which will be having greater effect in joining another company? What about the salary difference between two?
And what is the best field to do MTech right now?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE ๐Ÿ˜€

Before we go about comparing the two options, we'll have to set the parameters for comparison right. In my opinion, you will have to first be very clear about your expectations from your career. Why do you think higher studies are important to you? How do you think higher studies will help you in the long run?

Assuming that the Salary is the most important criteria for you, you will have to do a survey. Try getting in touch with people who have graduated from the college you are aspiring to join for M.Tech. How's the college's placement record and what was the average [and also minimum] salary offered to the graduates.

However, if you are unsure and want to plan for the long time; the better option would be to get 2 years of work experience and then go for M.Tech. It will definitely help you get a better salary.

It's still not clear if you've already have a very good GATE score. Find out the validity of GATE score if you already obtained it. You can try for GATE while you're employed for next two years, get a good score and join your dream college for M.Tech.
  • Maiya
    Maiya
    Thank you for your reply!

Yes, For me, the main concern is of Salary. I want to join a company and stay there for a long period. I dont want to jump from a company to different company. So I should get a decent salary with increments as the experience in a company highers. Im not that interested to do the MTech, but I want to do it if it helps me to get better salary and better increments.

Thanks for the information. I'll consider what you've said. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    In general, the longer you wait after your Bachelors degree to pursue your Masters the harder you will have to work to get a good score in GATE. Job experience and qualifications both matter but in the end its your personal choice.

One advantage/disadvantage of doing Masters is that it restricts your field of work, so you should be absolutely sure about the subject you wish to pursue your Masters degree in.
  • Maiya
    Maiya
    Thanks mad_scientist for your reply!

There are two comapnies in which I'm interested in one is Mangalore Chemicals and Fertilizers and another one is Nagarjuna Power Plant. Which MTech course do you think would help me to get a job in these companies. And also is there any MTech course that Many companies are interested in. I mean Production is done in almost all companies, so doing MTech in Production will be useful for many comanies. Likewise is there any general branch in MTech that most comanies recruit from. If not, which branch of MTech has high scopes now? Im from India FYI.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Try and look up product design, a course offered my NID..I'm not sure if there is any specific course that companies look for, but since we will continue to have more and more products launched in the market, it is prudent to assume that masters in product design is a safe option!!

I would suggest you identify your core interest areas and then decide which course you wish to pursue, not the other way around!!
  • Maiya
    Maiya
    Vowkay! Thanks a lot for helping me out...!
    Keep Rocking...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maiya
    Vowkay! Thanks a lot for helping me out...!
    Keep Rocking...
    Good to hear that. Keep coming back and help us spread the word among your friends. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello.. ๐Ÿ˜Ž..Could u help me to find out latest topics for seminar in computer science engineering field??
I need to send a full wave signal over 10km of co-ax. I'm needing to transmit at 10 watts and it needs to be matched to the 50 ohm line....
Many of the websites today require flash/java to view their content. However since they are not open source, they're not bundled in the default installation. To install them first enable...
Hi! Guys Can u suggest me the way to convert KINETIC energy to ELECTRICAL energy?? Its Urgent....................
Hello everyone, I am in the final year of Computer Science Engineering and right now i am preparing for SCJP (Sun Certification for Java Programmer) certification and in this particular...