CrazyEngineers
  • Is disk Defragmenter option in windows, for memory cards and USB drives worthwhile?

well if i connect my memorycard to a computer i see various slots alloted for
    each kind of file, like mp3 or 3gp etc...and the location is fixed! so if i interchange any files location it stops working! That is i place mp3 file in another location n it stops working!Does that mean i should'nt defragment it
    with MS programme for defragmentation!

Same question with certain USB drives!

😕
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorApr 28, 2007

Moving the thread to CE-IT Help section from Computer Science & Engineering Sectin 😀

-The Big K-
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • no_atkt

MemberApr 28, 2007

sorry but couldnt undersatnd what u said ... interchange with what ...

what OS are u using and what do u mean by various slots and location

and as defrags are concerned theres no problem defragging ur disk but it doesnt have a huge impact on performance
    Cancel
  • th3 ied kid

MemberApr 30, 2007

well i use windows XP OS and when i connect my memory card to the computer through my phone, as usual a new drive gets created and thus an option for defragmenting the memory card comes when i right click over the drive !
    The memory card stores various music files etc.. in a fixed location !
    if by mistake or manually i place an mp3 file in another folder location then my phone doesnt read that file anymore!
    So before i defragment my memory card i want to know if by doing so ,would all my files become unreadable ? Well can relocation of memory locations cause havoc?

The same with those MP3 players cum pen-drives wherein folder location matters!

Well hope you are getting my question!
    😕😕
    Cancel
  • no_atkt

MemberApr 30, 2007

now based on what i understand i will reply correct me where ever im not on track as per ur problem

first of all u dont need to defrag ur mem card & the defraggin option comes only when u go to properties, right?
    secondly which fone have u connected

thirdly i have never come across some 1 whos dta has become un-readable after defragging,

and as far as the folder issu is concerned i think some fones have that issue, songs have to be placed in a specific folder something like that ... try accessing ur mem card using a card reader
    Cancel
  • ankitvirmani

MemberApr 30, 2007

Defragmentation can be a good idea to improve access to any kind of memory.But there can be a small problem when we come to memory cards and flash drives-Windows OS supports defrag of memories with file system of FAT/FAT32 only.So better not try this optimization with them.An option to improve performance can be to format the card and re-copy the data...that would definately help.
    Cancel
  • crook

MemberMay 1, 2007

ankitvirmani
    Defragmentation can be a good idea to improve access to any kind of memory.But there can be a small problem when we come to memory cards and flash drives-Windows OS supports defrag of memories with file system of FAT/FAT32 only.So better not try this optimization with them.An option to improve performance can be to format the card and re-copy the data...that would definately help.
    Is it true that you cannot degrag the NTFS HD? 😒
    Cancel
  • no_atkt

MemberMay 1, 2007

no .... u can defrag a ntfs hdd also ... however coming back to topic of defragging a usb drive ... there is no need to defrag a flash disk coz they are made in a way that they drefrag themselves (ie. when data is copied on them) ... defragging a flash disk has no major effect rather not even a minor effect
    Cancel
  • th3 ied kid

MemberMay 1, 2007

thanx guyz
    yup derfag had no effect at all!
    i tried though and am a bit surprised to know that flash drives etc.. can derfrag themselves!
    could u brief me more?
    Cancel
  • no_atkt

MemberMay 1, 2007

dont know much in detail but the major differnece between flash disks and hard disks is that hdd have a moving platter in them and flash disks dont ... data in hdds is tored on these paltters so i guess the movement of plater is the reason why data is scattered and needs to be defragged
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register