Nayan Goenka
    Seriously? 😐

You wanna go into the stone age again?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Aadit Kapoor
    Is assembly language still used?
    If yes then how do i get started?
    Now a days embedded devs use both asm as well as C in single program, like some part of hardware code that is needed to be optimized for time critical processing for accurate result is written in asm & rest in C.
    (And in many other development too, which honestly I am not aware of)

In short, it is still used & will be used as long as hardware exists! (that means forever)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Ironically, this question is being asked since 2009. 😁
    And still we use 'still'.

The questions that could follow are - Why assembly language is still needed if we have high level languages offering sophisticated tools?
    OR
    How relevant or useful is it to learn Assembly programming language in the current era?

The simple answer is - As programmers, any computer science enthusiast should definitely know how things work underneath the hood.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Off topic: For a considerable length of time in my life; I believed it's something used by 'politicians'. ☕
  • Aadit Kapoor
    Aadit Kapoor
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Now a days embedded devs use both asm as well as C in single program, like some part of hardware code that is needed to be optimized for time critical processing for accurate result is written in asm & rest in C.
    (And in many other development too, which honestly I am not aware of)

In short, it is still used & will be used as long as hardware exists! (that means forever)
    I second you. Even though there are lot of compiler available but after all they all are converting them into asm language as microcontroller core itself is designed based on this instructions. All microcontroller core following them so C or any other language can not beat it if you are working on time critical execution.

Now people don't want to learn much about assembly language that is why C is getting more popularity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While working on our PC due to constant use of mouse our hand pains n it can cause d muscles to get injured. So here a solution for that "AIR...
Researchers from Harvard’s Wyss Institute and several other universities have managed to generate electricity from a strip of latex rubber coated with bacterial spores. At the heart of this experiment...
Edward Snowden, the NSA whistel blower who's currently under Russia's protection has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by a Norwegian minister. The argument goes like this: Snowden helped...
According to a report published in Korea Times, Samsung is planning to unveil its smart eyewear to compete with Google Glass. A Samsung official who wished to remain anonymous has...
I have showcased Ubuntu Web Browser in Ubuntu 14.04 which shows convergence in video below. It's just 2 minute long, take a look.