iron rod linearly oscillating in d hollow core of a electromangnet

does ney one over here knw abt a iron rod oscillating like the needel of a sewing machine when kept in the core of a electromanget which is hollow at the center like the center point of the core rod is holow so that the iron rod can oscillate linerly plzz do tel me abt this ​

Replies

• sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    guys if you dont knw the answer plz tel so so that i may knw coz i came across diz efect while playing with the electromagnet i wanna knw is it a new invention r its just another coincidence so plzz co operate guys talk to me
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not know what you mean by linear oscillation.
    Assume that you have solenoid coil with a hollow cylindrical central tube. Let the axis be vertical. Apply a suitable DC. You now have an electromagnet. If an iron rod is introduced into the coil slowly it will get pulled up and remain inside the coil stationary at an equilibrium position provided the current is sufficient to hold the weight of the rod.
    Now if the rod is pulled down, one can feel the upward tug as the solenoid is trying to pull in the rod to the original position. If the rod is released now, it will bob up and down like a pendulum. Ultimately the oscillations will be dampened and the rod will reach the original equilibrium position. This is rather like the oscillations of a weight at the end of a spring. If pulled and released, very similar oscillations result.
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    yes im talking about the same thing bt im not geting any damping in this d coil is geting heted n this process goes on even if you make the axis horizontal the coil gets heated bt d oscilations are not stoping or decreasing dey are continuosly varying like sometimes they increase in amplitude sometimes they decrease
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Try applying a constant current DC. Coil heating is normal. Is the iron soft iron? Or has it become magnetized?
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    i used a constant current dc only the one we use for charging our phones 5 v 2000 ma source d charger adapter
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    rod is soft iron(i suppose) n is not magnetized
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Those are simple chargers and are not constant current. If the weight of the rod, the dimensions of the solenoid and the energising current are all at some resonant values it is possible that you have long lasting oscillations.
    However, I am surprised that you are not seeing any damping. The amplitude variations are almost certainly due to variations in current. The oscillations of the rod itself will change the coil chracteristics to some extent. The phone charger cannot compensate for this.
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    its not actualy a phone charger bt wht device charger it is i dnt knw its a 5 v 2000ma charger is it not sufficent n do u think diz is smthin new n i shuld wrk on it or its vry common n nthing new in that
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    if you want i can mail u the video of the solenoid n that rod shall i so that you can see it yourself
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As I said in the beginning it is quite similar to weighted spring oscillations. It is a harmonic oscillator.
    The spring version can be seen here:
    Harmonic Oscillator
    This paper gives some info:
    galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/317.gbh.fall05/mag.../Beams1.doc
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    sanket_sali
    if you want i can mail u the video of the solenoid n that rod shall i so that you can see it yourself
    Please do. It would be interesting.
  • sanket_sali
    sanket_sali
    done sir maild u the video in horizontal axis vertical axis is not that intresting you can imagin it easily diz one grabs my attension

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am giving the written test of ONGC jobs for the post of Assistant Technician(Electronics) So which topic I should Prepare and is there any pdf, syyabus or anything regarding...
hi.i am prabhakaran.doing BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING IN SRI ESHWAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING.currently i am 3rd year
i will be joining npti nagpur,in admission broucher it is not given about its hostel what r terms n conditions about it and what is it fees..........????
what are th CEO,MEO and LEO communication systems...?