Inventions don't remain ideas, they become patents!

A lot has been going on recently about the announcement of the Hyperloop by Elon Musk, the co-founder and CEO of Tesla Motors. The hyperloop is a transport system which enables you to travel a distance between San Francisco to Los Angeles in merely 30 minutes. After today's announcement about the whole idea and Elon, publishing a pdf about all the technicalities on how to build the system, the stage is set for someone to adopt and start working on it. He has totally open sourced the idea and kept it in front of the world. He believes that this is possible only without the intervention of bureaucracy. Read more about the hyperloop #-Link-Snipped-# and also download the pdf given.

This used to happen in the olden days when people with ideas used to publish them and watch whether they were possible to create. But now people are afraid to make things public, since they want their ideas to be patented. So with this my question is that whether we are losing out on the real side of innovation, that is, sharing and working on an idea together?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have always said that, Patents, Closed-source codes, Copyrights ,etc. are innovation killers. There are many copyright license (not patent license) which allows to share with the world at the same time, the developer need not to worry about losing credit for their work.

But that's all about copyright license, Coming to patents; I think it is necessary. Hardware & Software is totally different domain. You can share the software source-code & binaries for free as coding on a software can be hobby, but hardware needs lots of work behind one successful project.Now if Intel,AMD & Nvidia starts sharing the project of CPU & GPU for free then companies like ASRock & Asus will eat them in few months.So,patents are helpful in this scenario.

But, there should be some basic etiquette on which product can be patented & which not.
    Apple, the patent troll; patents the curves of the button on the mobile device.And I don't understand how their patents are passed ?
    While innovative companies like Google, files patents on very awesome gadget 'Trailview 2.0' & it takes more than two years to pass them patent.YGTBFKM.

Apple & any company like them, who simply tweak the existing technology by small bit & patent it under their name, is lethargic devil.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I support patenting but not copywriting.Those who had sacrificed their lives for innovation want to be recognised but after registering he shoulf leave it to public for more upgrade.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Patents and Copyrights are completely two different aspects of Intellectual Property Security. If you are making a DISCOVERY, then you definitely deserve a patent for that. you deserve to be recognized. Like if you discover some xyz element to be a better conductor than copper that can be feasible in regular use.

But like Apple does, they add some 2-3 circuits, make some new gadget feature and ask for a patent, that is not justified. They should better copyright it. The true patent on that is deserved by the scientist who actually made such components that were able to give birth to such circuits.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Mate do you think adding 2 or 3 parallel connection without wasting your other half of circuit is easy never Apple is cunning and has it's own way of advancing tech

Google works harder and that is why their products are classes apart from that of Apple

Anyway the bitten one is always biting into others work to get glory that is a well known truth

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

our Building situated side of a main road, heavy weighty vehicle used this high road, if a vehicle pass the road then i feel small earthquake in my room/building some...
According to recent news,for Mars One project which is scheduled to launch in September 2022 with a view to colonize the RED Planet, more than 100,000 applications have been received....
Earlier we'd covered of NASA's 3D Printing In Space @ Zero Gravity In ISS, and in the video featured below the NASA officials emphasize on the importance of this all....
The wireless devices will soon go battery free and create a network for information exchange out of thin air. Say hello to a new technique called Ambient Backscatter created by...
"It's time to reveal.. a new car." Indeed. If Audi's sole purpose with the latest Audi A8 teaser was to arrest our attention, it has achieved it. The new Audi...