Interview with Sachin Kate - Founder, Clear Car Rental

Clear car rental is a startup based out of Aurangabad in Maharashtra. Sachin Kate, the founder of Clear car rental, moved out of his native place in Marathwada for basic education. He worked as an office boy in a travel agency in Aurangabad during his college days, when money was always a problem for his family.

In a candid interview, Sachin Kate and his team has shared with us how the journey has been so far and what's there to look forward to.

Mr.Sachin Kate Founder & CEO Clear car rental Pvt Ltd

1. Can you tell the readers about Clear car rental? How has the journey for the founder been?

Answer:
Clear car rental Pvt. Ltd. started in Aurangabad which is a tier 3 city, in the year 2011 with just four people in its team. The business scaled there on to a more than 100 people team in 2013. The founder and CEO hails from a very small village in interior Marathwada where schooling is available only till standard 4. His parents used to cultivate a small piece of land. After completing his 4th standard schooling he had to move out and stay in a nearby village where his father had a friend and schooling was available till standard 12. Since money was always problem for his family he started selling newspapers while in school. He then was always fascinated by computers and while studying in class 11 he took up a job as an office boy in a computer institute. He took full advantage of this job and learnt whatever was possible. The owner was happy with his efforts on learning which helped him to become a computer instructor the very next year when he was studying in standard 12. After completing 12th he shifted to Aurangabad for higher studies to complete his graduation. Again he secured part time job as an office boy in one travel agency and was exposed to the facts of running a travel business during which he felt that he should establish my own business in this same vertical. Initially his technical know how helped him to develop many travel and hospitality websites, but he was always interested in creating something big of his own and observed the enticing opportunities in the travel vertical.Having a fair understanding of travel industry coupled with his love for different technologies he always wanted to do something big in the travel and hospitality field. Technology was then being developed for airlines, hotels bookings etc but what can be called as last mile connectivity which is mostly road travel in tourism sector was neglected, the major reason being the market was (and still is) not organized.Developing a system to tackle this was the real challenge. He saw this as a real big opportunity and hence decided to start Clear car rental Pvt Ltd. Starting Clear car rental Pvt Ltd for him was a pure business decision after a thorough study and analysis of the market.

2. What are the various products/services offered by Clear car rental?

Answer:
Clear car rental Pvt. Ltd. is in the business of providing hassle free online car rental booking for outstation, local and transfer services. Outstation services are of three types namely - round trip, one way and multi-city. Local car rental services are of two types for full day and half day. Transfer services can be availed to and fro from airport location/ hotel, railway station, city location/Hotel. Customers can book any of the available vehicles just by following a few easy steps online without taking any trouble to negotiate with various fleet operators. Clear Car Rental Pvt. Ltd. has created an online marketplace where in car fleet owners in India have an opportunity to showcase their car inventory with their car rental rates.

3. What made you start this business? What are some of your dearest values and greatest motivators?

Sachin:
As I said earlier I was always fascinated by computers. Additionally when I was working in a travel agency I felt that I should establish my own business related to the travel vertical.Initially my technical know how helped me to develop many travel and hospitality websites, but was always interested in creating something big of my own and saw that the opportunities available
in the field of travel and tourism were enticing. Having a fair understanding of travel industry, I always wanted to do something big in the travel and hospitality field. Technology was then being developed for airlines, hotels bookings etc but what can be called as last mile connectivity which is mostly road travel in tourism sector was neglected, the major reason being the market was (and still is) not organized and developing a system to tackle this was the real challenge. I saw this as a real big opportunity and hence I decided to start Clear car rental Pvt, Ltd. Starting Clear car rental Pvt. Ltd was a pure business decision after a thorough study and analysis of the market.

4. What is unique about you and your business?

Sachin:
Strong core technical team ready to handle any technology challenge,solid industry knowledge
and team spirit are our key differentiating factors.

5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Answer:
We see ourselves to be market leaders in next 5 years. The reason we believe in this is that we plan to develop and launch products, services and leverage technology in such a way which will be revolutionary in the car rental industry.

CCR_Team_Aug_2013

6. What are the perks of being your own boss?

Sachin:

It has given me the opportunity to pursue what I always dreamt of while being on my own.
It is very satisfying to see that I can do my bit for the society by creating jobs.
Public recognition and awards
Inspiration and dedication from my team
Sleepless nights at times.
Unlimited working hours
No holidays
7. How has the journey of car rental Pvt Ltd been since start (sales, staff, products, services etc.)?

Answer:
Clear car rental Pvt Ltd started in 2011 and then we were just a 4 people company. Today we are more than 100 people team and have different functions like human resource, finance, vendor development, travel packages, business development, online marketing & search engine optimization and 24X7 customer support.Our services are pretty much the same since we started. Clear car rental is one of its kind because along with local and oustation car rental services, multicity car rental services
are also offered. We are working on developing new products for online and offline travel agents, coporates using which they can complete hassle free online car bookings and manage their booking information all in one stroke.

8. What is the scope of outreach (or) potential market for car rental Pvt Ltd?

Answer:
The car rental market in India is estimated to be around 20,000 Cr INR which is growing year over year by 25%. This fact is keeping us exited to refine the way we work together as an organisation, cater the unfulfilled demand by develop new products and services and leave no stone unturned to deliver customers best possible car rental experience.

9. A good business idea is rooted in something you are passionate about. What is your Business strategy that is expected to help you grow over the next 3 years

Answer:
We believe that focussing on the areas of company expansion, new product development and technology enhancement will help us to grow more over next few years.

10. What makes this particular concept different? Are there competitors? If yes, how do you stand out?

Answer:
The car rental market in India is huge, not cluttered with many competitors of repute who have very long history of smooth being into existence and smooth deliverability of rental services because of which we consider it to be a blue ocean. We believe that the existing players have taken just 10 % of the total market share. Our objective is not to put more vehicles in the market but to organize the market by using technology in such way that both the fleet operators and customers are benefited.
Addressing the afore mentioned challenge is the biggest need of the travel industry today.

11. What are your core values?

Sachin:
Mission - To provide superior car rental services and deliver high value to all our stakeholders by leveraging technology and through effective team work.
Vision - To lead by becoming a technology driven ground transportation services company.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We thank Mr. Sachin Kate for his time and efforts in answering our questions. You can visit Clear Car Rental at Cab Booking India Outstation, Local City Tour, Airport Transfer. Clear Car Rental

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    great interview.Finally an indian venture.Application of "what you know " to "what you love".
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    It is definitely a inspiration for every engineer😎
  • हेमंत नेटके पाटील
    हेमंत नेटके पाटील
    This Talent Has Been Come Up From the Marathwada Earth and Spread in to all over India , and World Wide, Very Very Inspirational Interview to us...........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has today launched a new tool for video conferencing called 'Chromebox for Meetings' that it says should make the process of making video calls in offices and homes easier...
Engineers at CERN are planning for a new Large Hadron Collider, called "Future Circular Collider' aka FCC. The FCC will be 7x more powerful than the current one and have...
Maruti Celerio is already selling like a hot cake in Maruti showrooms all over India. I thought of initiating a discussion on the top three things on any potential buyer's...
An international group of researchers have come together to develop a new form of Graphene that makes it possible for electrons to behave like photons. This has made room for...
Having a survey. Would really be glad if you answer. 😀 1.) Will the use of class A materials(steel, concrete, deformed bars, & cables) for making a bridge could withstand...