Indian Standards For Electronics "BIS" To Be Effective April 2013 - DeiTy

Looks like India's stepping up its game for the electronics manufacturers and importers. Starting April 2013, all the electronic gadgets and devices will have to comply with the BIS standards established by the DeiTy - department of electronics and information technology. Before they can be sold in Indian markets, the products falling in 15 different categories including Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Set Top Boxes, TVs, scanners, printers and others will have to obtain the compliance certificate from the Indian authorities.

I'm not aware of the tests and standards against which the products will be evaluated, but let's hope that they're pretty much at par with the international ones. We don't want India to continue to become technology dumpyard. What's your take?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    the influx of cheap gadgets might go down? that will be something what i look forward too/ But are we sure , we wont have any workarounds ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    the influx of cheap gadgets might go down? that will be something what i look forward too/ But are we sure , we wont have any workarounds ?
    Nope. Most of the gadgets are being imported from China. Micromax, Lava, Spice ..and name any budget, dual-sim phone maker - and they're brining it right from China, adding their label and selling in India. That isn't likely to change.

That's the reason I'm wondering what are the standards and what tests will the gadgets have to undergo to get the certification.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Indian licensing is marred by monetary forces. If they are not playing then we can see some change I doubt how well this can be enforced in India

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung's launched a vague trailer promising 'something new' at the CES 2013. The official dates for the event are January 8-11. It's impossible to make any guesses by looking at...
i've a project to do in OS. the readers writers problem using semaphores and monitors. if anyone has the code in c then please upload....
You might have stumbled upon the news that TED administration has cancelled the TEDx Chennai license. The event was found to be violating several TEDx conference rules including number of...
hello sirs and madams ; i hope that all will be fine and enjoying good life i have paticipated in robowar competetion in line follower robot but donot what to...
HI everyone..! i am going to do solar byk as my major project..i had purchased an electrical byk and i will charge the batteries using solar panels.but this is already...