Indian Medical Education Gone Mad: Rs. 25-45 Lakh Captiation Fee!

I was shocked to read the TOI News: TN medical colleges seek Rs 25-45 lakh as capitation fee | Chennai News - Times of India that colleges in Chennai are charging over Rs. 25-45 lakh as 'captitation fee' - which is illegal. Quoting from above reference -

At the DD Naidu Medical College, the application form for the entrance exam costs Rs 25,000. Students who qualify will have to buy another form for Rs 5,000. College chairman TD Naidu said the college charges 7.5 lakh per year for tuition, boarding and lodging fee for MBBS courses. Deemed universities like Sri Ramachandra University charge 6.5 lakh as annual tuition fee, while SRM Medical College and Chettinad Medical College charge Rs 4 lakh per year.

This is absolutely shocking! Middle class students can never think of career in medicine! ๐Ÿ˜ก

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    irony: neither to-be-docs can afford the studies nor patients can afford the service:-s
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    this is absolutely true! three years back when i joined engineering course the capitation for the medical colleges which had good infrastructures and hospital was 25 lakh rupees. now it is 40 lakh. the colleges 25 lakh nowadays don't even have the infrastructure for demanding that fees. ๐Ÿ˜ก and like to mention one more thing here. when my sister got a medical seat on merit basis under counselling and can you guess how much was the tuition fee alone that they asked? they asked for 2.5 lakh per annum even though she was a merit counselling student. and that would mean around 15 lakh totally. this annoyed her and she decided to take the engineering seat that she had already got where she had got scholarship for her marks.
    all this gives almost no chance for the middle class to become doctors. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    When we say 2.5-4 millions there is a huge gap of 1.5 million. Why is this huge gap? Should't there be uniformity in fees structure?

I am also referring to the discussion " Is your engineering college fee justified?" ๐Ÿ˜
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    ishutopre
    When we say 2.5-4 millions there is a huge gap of 1.5 million. Why is this huge gap? Should't there be uniformity in fees structure?

I am also referring to the discussion " Is your engineering college fee justified?" ๐Ÿ˜
    some colleges which have very good infrastructure charges a lot and people who want a medical seat from only reputed institutes pay these 40 lakh. while the colleges which have absolutely no infrastructure or hospital facility charge the"minimum" cost which is 25 lakh for the medical seat which some want at any cost.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Here, almost most of the college are demanding about 60-80 lakhs ๐Ÿ˜”
    No thought for the middle class people ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Reya
    Reya
    Do even government medical colleges demand more than 40 lakhs??
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    praveena211
    Do even government medical colleges demand more than 40 lakhs??
    no not those thankfully ๐Ÿ˜€ they don't require capitations. it has the normal fees in thousands. its only the private medical colleges.

in the future i'll be asking the doc where he did his MBBS before seeking his medical advice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    No capitation fee for Government Colleges at all! The fees for Government Medical colleges here is Rs-10,000 per an year ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I think I was fortunate to have studied engineering at the beginning of last decade. My total expense on engineering course was under Rs. 50k ( $1000). However, in the...
Hello Guys: I am student of Electrical Engineering, but during my masters i have taken the course " Sounds and Vibrations " which is more related to Mechanical Engineering. I...
Hey ppl, I am developing a facebook application and i need access token for my application. Can anyone help me with that.Their documentation sucks big time...๐Ÿ˜”
Skinput turns your hand into a touchscreen and your fingers into a keypad Skinput turns your hand into a touchscreen and your fingers into a keypad