Indian Education System is a sad tale of producing incompetent "Workers"

Alright, we have said it many a times and there must not have been anything new to the topic. But there certainly is. As you must be knowing that I have been part of some of the largest global contest and research and innovation drives in over last one year, I would love to put before the youngsters who come and reads CE articles.

1. To start with, the course work is about 20 years behind than what it should be. Reason? Lecturers and teachers who has the onus to form the syllabus are too afraid of updating themselves too quickly. So even today colleges take C lab in Turbo C and because Turbo C does not work in full mode in Windows 7 still has windows xp installed. Talk about objective C , which is the commercial version of C or gcc on which Unix based system are dependent are out of the order.

2. For electronic engineers, the subjects they study: Basic electronics with resistors and power supplies are the basics that should now be covered in class 3. Ok, in Electronic lab students builds power supply but never drives a motor or LED through it. Result? They never know where it is used.

3. It is still 8051 in syllabus with 8085 and 8086. You got to be kidding me. 8051? That is never used in any practicle purpose anywhere. Students during their courses never knows what is an AVR, what is Arduino or a Raspberry PI or other advanced boards. They have no exposure to PCB design, or designing modules or break boards.

4. A computer science student has a web development lab. And what you teach them? How to print hello world in web page. How to print tables. There is no HTML5, CSS, Javascipt, Ajax. Some universities do have LAMP. And what is it? simple CGI scipts, perl basics of php. An engineering student is never aware of building a real site. He does not have exposure to wordpress, drupal, joomla or anything.

5. Students learn DSP and does Matlab lab. But they do not know any fundamentals of FFT or where they are used. They design filters but are never exposed them to apply over sound or music files. They dont know proper statements in matlab.

6. None of the engineering students are exposed to high level document editing with word and there is nothing called photoshop. Photoshop is an Integral part of any design if one has to survive in the industry. No photoshop exposure.

7. Now let us talk about .Net and Java. People are unaware of swings and NetBeans IDE and Eclipse. They are still typing java programs in Notepad. You believe me? People have no Idea about WPF or WCF when it comes to .Net.

8. When it comes to database programming people are unaware of No-SQL, students are unaware of API based database programming for cloud. They can't form decent T-SQL queries.

9. In a networking lap a student hardly ever networks two computer?

10. Surprisingly I know many Phd holders in wireless who have never transferred a file wirelessly let alone configuring a wireless network.

11. There is no exposure to 3d, no blender, no Unity.

There is no creativity, nobody is driven towards innovation or start up. In short, entire system is on the verge of collapsing and days are not far when our technical students will never manage to get a job let alone competing. We are living in a dream world created by us where we appriciate our knowledge, growth and contribution!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I was discussing the same with a friend yesterday and the topic of discussion was how 'content based' growth has put several limitations on CE's growth so far. The playstation thread I created on another forum got 3k+ views & 50+ responses in a short period of time; but not a single reply on CE. I'd not blame anyone.

The point is that the job sector has done a fantastic job of not requiring any innovation or creative thinkers. That's why everyone's 'relaxed' - because you can get a job without even knowing a thing about engineering.

I however disagree that our 'technical' students will never manage to get a job. The situation is that there will always be a ton of 'brick layers' and 'architects', structural engineers, designers. Sadly the brick layers don't realise that they're laying bricks. They're busy saving up for their retirements & you can have a comfortable life laying bricks all your life.

#-Link-Snipped-# - we all know the problem and the situation. Do you have a way to fix this? Suggest something that gives all of us a ray of hope.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Yes. I have. I have started calling for free seminars to bring awareness. I have decided to go to an engineering college on every Saturday to let people know where they stand and how should they proceed.

And this time, I am not going to keep quite as a mock observer and keep complaining. Just now got positive responses from 7 college. I will make it count this time.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I am myself a fresher and what you told is pretty much correct.
    However, one thing that annoys me, I come to CE I see a thread like this. There was a seminar in the institte where top names from VLSI industry came, addressed the same problem. My question is, if everyone is so aware of the problem, why isnt anyone doing anything? Everyone just whine about it and continue with the same thing.

Why everything has to be so slow? I dont think even a full single year would be required to modify the mehodology and get the things running.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    You see, the problem is with people who teaches. They are too afraid to update themselves.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The worst part was an IT student writing about a latest development in technology which was not supported by IE6

If that is the latest What is the scope of the colleges teaching us OpenGl and stuff like that
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I agree on some points(not all) mentioned by #-Link-Snipped-#.

Don't get me wrong,
    But If I wanna learn ARM or Arduino or xyz thing during my studies .... who gonna stop me ?
    If I wanna do something,I will make it happen anyhow - But if I criticise education system because I can't/unable to do what I want,then it's plain EXCUSE !
    (Again,I agree our education system needs some update - but at the same time student's attitude towards Engineering must change)

No bragging but,If I would've stayed dependent on my college teachers then I would've never learn Bash/C & I would've never booted Linux OS in my PC (which i successfully booted after 5 consecutive fails).I probably would be using Winblows like most people does & thus I would've never discovered this bloody beautiful universe of Linux.
  • Chitti
    Chitti
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# . Many are aware of the problem. We need a solution that works. Targeting colleges one by one may be a good option but how effective is it??
  • oprime
    oprime
    Rupam Das
    3. It is still 8051 in syllabus with 8085 and 8086. You got to be kidding me. 8051? That is never used in any practicle purpose anywhere. Students during their courses never knows what is an AVR, what is Arduino or a Raspberry PI or other advanced boards. They have no exposure to PCB design, or designing modules or break boards.
    You sure about what you said regarding 8051?
    Because I know for a fact that a lot of new IC's are using 8051 core. e.g PSOC's
    I have experience in AVR, Arduino and 8051. I started out on the AVR Atmega8. It has been 3 years now but I still have not read its full datasheet. It is just too huge. And it has just too many peripherals.
    8051 on the other hand is best for beginners since a bible written for it by Mazidi exists. That is the best book on Microcontrollers I have read till now. The diagrams and programs have been explained in such an easy manner, that anybody can understand it.
    So I would definitely support teaching 8051 to beginners.

8085/8086 are also essential because they teach us the fundamentals of memory management. We are so used to working on full fledged OS's like Windows XP/7 or Linux or Mac OS X that we do not event know how things work in the background. Studying the internal architecture of 8085 cleared up a lot of concepts of mine.
    Everyone has read about stacks in data structure. 8085 showed me where a stack is used in real life.
    After studying microprocessors, if one reads Operating Systems by Galvin, everything will become just so much more easy to understand.

These skills are very very important in embedded systems. ARM's may have a lot of processing power and space but in high performance applications memory management and time management has to be kept in mind.

Rupam Das
    6. None of the engineering students are exposed to high level document editing with word and there is nothing called photoshop. Photoshop is an Integral part of any design if one has to survive in the industry. No photoshop exposure.
    In my university, we had technical presentations in 3 semesters. Also we had to submit synopsis on that topic. So we became well versed in MS Word and Powerpoint.

In the end, it all depends on the student. If he wants to learn, no one can stop him. But if he does not want to learn, no one can make him learn.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends i need the method of wan connectivity................ pls explain thanking you
Hello guys, I got problem to find the solution manuals for these books. Anyone can help me ? I really appreciate those who help on this. Please send the link...
I've placed in HCL-slocum through campus. HCL slocum is susidiary of HCL company. Do anyone know about this slocum.Is it worthy to join ??? please help me .....
Dear friends please discuss the right method to calculate the velocity and pressure profile for installation of water turbine.
friends , php and asp.net are two technologies which are used for developing web . which is more demanding language and which have more scope in the market? ....