India is an IT-Giant due to Jawaharlal Nehru

I read this article in the Times of India.

While inaugurating a Science and Technology exhibition and a trade fair in Akuressa, Sri Lanka's Technology and Research Minister Prof Tissa Vitharana said that,

"India owes its phenomenal growth in Information Technology to the pioneering efforts of former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru"

This was immediately after India gained independence from British rule, when Nehru had taken charge of the Science and Technology Ministry. The minister observed that India today was a leader in IT and production of computer software.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The person behind we getting private investors in India is PV Narsimha Rao!

But Nehru has done some good progress and improvements for Science and Technology!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, Jawaharlal Nehru might have pioneered the advancement of science and technology in general, but India was a closed economy back then. There were severe restrictions on business and enterprise.
    Software and IT industry was non existent.

The one who really relaxed the restrictions and opened the doors for IT is Rajiv Gandhi. It was during his tenure that IT manifested itself as a governance method and also a viable industry in itself.

So says Nandan Nilekani in his book Imagining India.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    More than any politicians, I give all the credit to the daring entrepreneurs in 1980's who ventured into software services field and made a difference. India would not have seen the IT revolution unless these entrepreneurs had the courage to quit their jobs and create software services giants.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Simon Taylor and Connell Gauld (Cambridge University researchers) have formed a company called Extra Reality (Website: Extra Reality) to commercialize the technology that has developed a system that allows a...
how to edit the circuit in pendrive. I ve to give low signal to the write protection pin in Nand flash ic present in pendrive... but its not like adding....
Hi, There are certain definite set of rules, mathematical expressions to analyze deterministic signals! But how to analyze Random signals?😕
this is the place to discuss about our preparations. lets start from the very basics of electronics i.e. the semiconductors. starting with the diodes i think we should know all...
The Delhi based Zen mobiles is going bullish over the Indian mobile markets. The company's already got Mr. Amitabh Bachchan as their brand ambassador and recently introduced the TV enabled...