Increaseing power output from installed thermal power generation

I would like to know whether it is possible to increase output from existing thermal power plant either in terms of heat input,efficiency, vacuum , heat rate , exhaust parameters etc. As it is well known that cost of installing new power plant in India is about Rs 5,00,00,000 per MW. I think that increasing output from same machines with latest technologies will reduce time /financial load/ human efforts. 😎

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Now a days the existing power plant are installed with various accessories & mountings. They include regenerative heat exchanger & economizer etc. & mostly work on modified cycles. If your plant is not contenting such things you can add them. Before that kept in mind that there is limitation to add such things in plant. We are more clear if you can post more information about plant.😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    akpower
    I would like to know whether it is possible to increase output from existing thermal power plant either in terms of heat input,efficiency, vacuum , heat rate , exhaust parameters etc. As it is well known that cost of installing new power plant in India is about Rs 5,00,00,000 per MW. I think that increasing output from same machines with latest technologies will reduce time /financial load/ human efforts. 😎
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • MyJuliet
    MyJuliet
    They include regenerative heat exchanger and economizer, etc. and most of the change cycle. If your plant is not satisfied with such things, you can add them. Prior to this, bearing in mind the limitations in the plant to add such a thing..
    We already have all essential equipments with standard power plant. These are designed for given output. With modern instrumentation including latest software etc. It is regular practice to check efficiency of each heat exchanger as well as heat rate of Boiler & Turbine. The design values for fuel i.e.coal were on higher side. In practice coal of design quality is not available. How-ever my query was is it possible to increase power output with higher & efficient heat transfer ? The reasons for such requirement are already elaborated in my article.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Heat transfer on the water side is quite well controlled. The gas side coefficients are poor and lead to losses. New technology is looking at maximising this and address environment issues at the same time. In most technologies there is an initial breakthrough phase, a development and optimising phase and lastly fine tuning. Fossil fuel thermal plants are probably in the last phase. This is where diminishing returns slows down R&D. I do not believe that efficiencies can be increased much. Waste heat recovery and green house emission control are likely areas for development

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What are the problems in pumping wet steam say at 0.2 kg/ sq. cm to boiler pressure? I think that instead of extracting steam to vacuum pressure( negative pressure to...
This is the scenario is most of the IT outsourced jobs. Since the'giver' of work is sitting in some part of the world , the 'doer' is in another part...
sir, i am working for baja atv in india we'll be having an interview soon in 5 days and we have only one factor which could help ur to get...
Since last week, Our website SuntekStore.com has been under DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service)attack by someone who goes by the name of Ivan Alekseevich Ivanov from Khabarovsk, Russia and he...
i m doing my final year electrical engg..i have not done any certified courses .can anybody suggest me some courses which will be useful for getting placed in a core...