In need of advice and help! I feel demotivated!

Hey Guys,

I'm sort of new here and this is my first post/thread. I want to introduce myself first: My name is Ajit Krisshna, and I'm a 3rd year engineering student in MSRIT, Bangalore, studying Electronics and Communication engineering, Recently, I have been thinking a lot about my future and career. My academics have always been really good. FOr instance, in 10th, I scored 91% in ICSE and in 12th, 95% in ISC. In fact I was placed 2nd in all of Bangalore for my performance in the ISC exams. Also, my CGPA is 9.5/10. Summer of 2011, I interned at Technophilia systems in the robotics field for 2 weeks and soon after I undertook a German language course for 1 month. It was then that I began to think about further studies and my achievements so far. I haven't really accomplished anything in the non-academic area. I'm currently working on a project in IISC, which is to do with unmanned aerial vehicles. I also started preparing for GRE just a week ago.

My plan is to apply to the top 20 universities in the world for electrical and computer science engineering. What I'm not sure about is whether I'm worthy enough to apply to these universities with my current achievements, or my resume'. I'm not trying to think pessimistically but I'm trying to look at it realistically because I have absolutely no research experience. I know for a fact that universities hold factors like research, work experience, LORs, SOPs with a high value. Perhaps even higher than academic accolades and achievements.

Today, I stumbled upon various blogs about many IITians and NITians who have numerous lists of academic and research achievements and my heart sank deeper and deeper after reading every blog. Yes, I know what you're going to say "You should have joined an IIT!!". The fact remains, however, that I was never really thrilled about IITs and I failed to see the credibility that underlays the prestigious institution. Anyway, what's done is done. I didn't bother studying to get into any of the IITs or NITs.

A few weeks ago, I spoke to a professor in my department, who is currently doing research on Image Processing. He's been guiding me ever since. According to him, colleges like MSRIT ( which is the 3rd best in Bangalore), although renowned, are not places of ongoing research (any research for that matter). When I asked him about my chances of getting into an 'IVY league' school for M.S/M.Tech, he immediately shunned the idea and suggested that I aim for a Masters in IIT. He goes on to say that admission into PhD programs in IVY league schools would be more possible with an IIT degree. Am I ready to study for a min. of 5 years more? I don't know and frankly the idea of that doesn't thrill me too much. I digress. He usually picks about 10 of the brightest students of 6th semester ECE students to work on a research paper and submit it at an international conference.

So, what do I need to do in this year and the next, for me to gain some credibility and hopefully get admitted in a Top 20 university??? Oh, and you can be assured that I will do well in GRE and TOEFL.

My question is, can a guy like me from such an Institution still do what it takes to get into the top 20 universities? Or does it always come down to IITs and NITs? Is it possible for me to get into lets say UPenn or Georgia Tech (I'm not going to say MIT and Stanford), with just good marks ( good GRE, TOEFL, CGPA etc), and decent LORs and SOPs. Does coming from IITs make such a big bleeding difference as far as admissions are concerned?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I would normally have said,'Don't be an idiot' if you had been my student. Just do it, man. IIT or NIT do not matter. Amyway what big research do BTech students do in IITs? Don't be so negative and pessimistic. Give it all you have and hope for the best.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh well, I've moved your thread to General Help section.

What I'm not sure about is whether I'm worthy enough to apply to these universities with my current achievements, or my resume'. I'm not trying to think pessimistically but I'm trying to look at it realistically because I have absolutely no research experience.
    Don't relate your 'worthiness' to Universities accepting or rejecting you. Your best bet is to find out the profile of students who get selected in top Universities. Be assured that the top Universities aren't looking for students who look awesome on paper. I know a guy who was 'average' in academics throughout his school & college - but had done many exciting things in life (ran NGO, started companies and failed and so on). He got into Wharton, with not a very impressive GMAT score.

Frankly speaking, I see you are an above average student - with very high expectations from yourself. Also, understand that IITs are nowhere in global rankings and if top Universities preferred IITans only, they'd have mentioned it in their eligibility criteria. There are several examples of students who made it to top institutions by being excellent in what they do. Your objective should be to focus on what you are good at and also acquire new skills which will help you in the long run.

There's no point in getting demotivated. Just give your best and forget the rest! Don't break yourself in the process!

PS: Why is it so important for you to get into top 20 Universities? What if they reject you and 21[sup]st[/sup] top University accepts you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    I would normally have said,'Don't be an idiot' if you had been my student. Just do it, man. IIT or NIT do not matter. Amyway what big research do BTech students do in IITs? Don't be so negative and pessimistic. Give it all you have and hope for the best.
    ..+1. I strongly recommend you to take bioramani's advice. ๐Ÿ˜€ Read about him here: #-Link-Snipped-# - One of the most amazing Small Talks on CE ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I believe in stats and my tag line says "over the years, most successful people are not those who had the talent to succeed but those who believed that they would!"

I hope you know your answer by now! ๐Ÿ˜€ All the best
  • ajitkrishna
    ajitkrishna
    Bioramani,

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I have learnt that IITians do research BECAUSE it is part of the requirements in their resp. programs, which is no the case with my university. I will take your advice and try to make the best of what I have, and hopefully I will succeed. Thanks for the support and the timely response!!
  • ajitkrishna
    ajitkrishna
    The_Big_K,

Thanks for the prompt response man! I see what you mean about 'worthiness', but I have not run any NGOs or companies and so on, to be frank. However, it is true that IITs are nowhere in global rankings, but there seems to be a trend that almost all Indians in MIT or Stanford are from IITs or NITs, call it coincidence or whatever you like. I will take your advice, and focus on building any new skills and cherish what I really have. Thanks for that! It is great that there are so many people actually willing to help out each other.

PS: I wouldn't mind getting into the 21st top university. I just wanted to convey my expectations of myself a bit more openly if I may say so.
  • ajitkrishna
    ajitkrishna
    Rupam Das,

Thanks for sharing that man! I looked hard at your tag line, and I feel that I should employ it! Thanks for that, seriously!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ajitkrishna
    The_Big_K,

Thanks for the prompt response man! I see what you mean about 'worthiness', but I have not run any NGOs or companies and so on, to be frank. However, it is true that IITs are nowhere in global rankings, but there seems to be a trend that almost all Indians in MIT or Stanford are from IITs or NITs, call it coincidence or whatever you like. I will take your advice, and focus on building any new skills and cherish what I really have. Thanks for that! It is great that there are so many people actually willing to help out each other.

PS: I wouldn't mind getting into the 21st top university. I just wanted to convey my expectations of myself a bit more openly if I may say so.
    I like your spirit ๐Ÿ˜€ We've many geniuses here who haven't been to IITs and yet they are rockstars in their own domains. Check out Rupam Das' story on the forum. The point is - let the institute, marks, grades not decide who you are and what you become. Be cool, Be a CEan
  • ajitkrishna
    ajitkrishna
    The_Big_K,

I checked out Rupam Das' story, and it is pretty amazing. He has done so much with his life. A real inspiration, I must say! I no longer feel demotivated! In fact, I feel quite the opposite! Thanks to you guys!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ajitkrishna
    The_Big_K,

I checked out Rupam Das' story, and it is pretty amazing. He has done so much with his life. A real inspiration, I must say! I no longer feel demotivated! In fact, I feel quite the opposite! Thanks to you guys!!
    Yep, he's an amazing guy. I think you should be active on CE forums and help others ๐Ÿ˜€ . Make no excuses.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! i am planning to do a project on image processing. It deals with input as an image and searches the database for similar images. Itll be similar to tinyeye.com,...
Hi there! Recently we had an experiment regarding diode rectification. we constructed two circuits - one for half wave rectification and another for bridge rectification. For both CKT we used...
CyanogenMod developers have released the stable version of Syanogen Mod 7.1 to public. Download link available at the end of this post. The team released the beta over 60 days...
BSNL is doing something amazing! They've launched a new kind of broadband service in Indian cities like Jaipur, Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Nagpur, Hyderabad (and many other cities) called FTTH (aka...
We've had similar threads in the past, but I think we can definitely have a round 2.0. Let's collect a list of blogs that we read at least once a...