In IT industry, Masters degree or experience?

What do you people think is more important in IT industry: Having a masters degree or getting work experience in those 2 years?

Replies

• Kartik Vyas
    Kartik Vyas
    Depends on the company... but I personally feel post graduation is under-rated in IT industry...
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think masters degree has more weight age than your graduation......because in your masters you are specialized in some field and its in high demand.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Which masters degree are you talking about? MBA, MS, M.Tech or some other degree?
  • callyD
    callyD
    I'd take a year of experience over a year of study any time.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I'd guess it would depend on exactly what you wanted to do. For a managerial/professional/design/engineering track I's say Master's degree. For the tech side I'd say experience and certifications.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I wonder if there is an answer to that question.

It's the survival of the fittest everywhere. So, the most talented person in the row is going to get picked for sure.

P.S: I heard somewhere that the talent survives only once you are inside the industry. But, to get inside it you need to show real good bio-data. Nobody listens to our talent, unless we have certificates to prove it. 😡
  • vivekp26.1
    vivekp26.1
    Re: In IT industry, Masters degree or experience?

I think that Masters is important as well as experience.It all depends on company and the knowledge you have.
    So both are important.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Work Experience is a good thing but a master's degree(that only means that you amplified your knowledge),i.e. more knowledge is always good.

And Knowledge + Experience will be a great combo.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Why not do both? Work and part time Masters? 😀

Its a personal opinion, but I think one should do masters because they crave for knowledge, rather than do it for the sake of the industry.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Rightly said Ash!

Already Btech /undergrad are being pursued for the sake of job opportunities, I really believe masters needs to be pursued only if we have that thirst for knowledge and not for the sake of some dream role.
    I came to know about a PHD guy ( who did his PHD in TELCOM for 1.5 yrs) and suddenly changed his stream to Finance Management?? as TELECOM was not in demand :shock:. It's so distressing to see
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    what i personally feel that rather going for a master degree we should have work experience because at the end of the day what matters is the work experience.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone explain me the working principle of ball point pen???
hi everyone....nikhil here a mechanical engineer. hope to get help as well as give help when ever needed.
Hi all hope u all doin fine. I am a final year aeronautical engineering student. I will do a final year thesis about damage tolerance. it is something new, well...
hi buddy's, this is jagan doing 2nd year BE(EEE) now i wish to do mini project and paper presentation my idea: to use piezoelectric material Which convert pressure or force...
When we connect to any network through Wi-Fi or through LAN or through bluetooth network , in all the network we see that there are some data packets sent and...