Important tips for logical reasoning.

Logical Reasoning :

Logical Reasoning is always the toughest part of CAT. In CAT LR questions usually comes with 2/3 bits . A paragraph is given with full of information followed by 2/3 questions. You have to read it and use your logic to answer the questions. In 3 sections CAT paper there is no special section on LR but one can expect LR questions to be present in any section.
The main idea behind LR is to is use the information and preconditions to make a conclusion

Most problems give a variety of conditions and you must use an "if"-"then" approach. It's important that you read the whole problem, and choose the best hint or clue before starting to solve the problem. When practicing logic with reasoning making a chart or drawing a picture are good strategies. Before starting any LR problem it s advised to keep few points in mind.

Important Tips for Logical Reasoning:

1.Before you try to answer a few sample questions, here are some general test-taking tips that should help you with the Logical Reasoning section.
Study the question carefully. A brief explanation of why each choice is correct or incorrect follows each practice question. If you understand this reasoning for the practice items, you will do well on the actual assessment.

2.NEVER assume or use any information that the question fails to give you. This is NOT an assessment of how much you know about economics in general! Consider ONLY the information given in each reading passage when choosing among the alternative responses.

3.Read both the factual passage and the sentence completion instruction carefully. Both must be considered in making your choice.

4.Be sure to read all the response choices carefully before choosing one.

5.In questions that ask you to select a valid conclusion, always choose the one conclusion that must definitely follow from the information you are given. In questions that ask you to find the invalid alternative, choose the one conclusion that does not definitely follow from the information.

6.Pay special attention to words like "all," "some," or "none" when you read the factual information each question gives you. Other qualifying words such as "other than," "only" or "unless" are important, too. These words can play a critical part in precisely specifying the facts to be used in your reasoning.

7.Pay attention to negative prefixes also, such as non-, un-, or dis-. These can be crucial to specifying the basic facts in the paragraph.

8."Test-taking" courses or your college instructors may have advised you to avoid any response choices that contain the quantifiers "all" or "none." In both the practice questions here and in the actual economist assessment, these words are NOT signs of incorrect response choices. They will appear in both correct and incorrect response choices.

9.Pay close attention to the word "ONLY" and to the phrase "IF AND ONLY IF." Saying "The door will open IF AND ONLY IF both keys are used" sets up a highly specific condition that must be met. There is exactly one way to open the door-you must use both keys. By contrast, if the sentence says, "The door will open if the key is used," there may be several ways to open the door besides by using the key.

10.The questions in the assessment will vary in difficulty level, and difficult questions will be mixed in with easier ones throughout the assessment. When you encounter a question that is difficult for you, try drawing diagrams or other schematic notes on the "scratch" paper provided to support and confirm your thought processes. Also, bear in mind that you can stop working on a difficult question temporarily and return to it later.

Source: cat4mba.com

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Nice post. We want small exercise to memories it. What you say?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Greetings, Name's Dorin. Im new to this forum. I was wondering where I should start if I wanted to learn electronic assembly, but Im a real beginner. Just assume I...
Hey I'm a 4th yr student doing my engineering in electronics and instrumentation. Right now I'm confused what i should do for my final yr project.Is a colour sensor good?...
CEans, Just informing all our regular CEans that CE will not be available for a brief period of time. We'll perform a security upgrade and also have a new feature...
please post latest list of i.s. code
can i get some ideas .....for my mini projects😒😐😐😐