Impact of reynold's number

dear CE'ans please tell me that what is the impact of a particular value of reynold's number on the jet of water incoming out of a duct, turbine exit etc. In other words i want to ask that how reynold's number affects the jet of fluid incoming out of a turbine and what are the possible modifications in design of duct or turbine exit, speed of fluid jet etc to handle the harsh effects of reynold's number.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Aziz, Reynold's number is just a number arising out of the conditions of the fluid flowing and not the other way. There is no such thing as harsh effects of Reynold's number.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    reynold's number is just a measure, and indicates whether the flow is laminar or turbulent.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    A.V.Ramani
    Aziz, Reynold's number is just a number arising out of the conditions of the fluid flowing and not the other way. There is no such thing as harsh effects of Reynold's number.
    thankyou sir I agree! but there is still a question in my mind. As the reynolds number is the ratio of inertial and viscous force, while inertial force depends upom the mass and acceleration of flowing fluid and viscous force depends upon the density, than can we deduce that changing a particular parameter (like rate of change of velocity) is necessary to avoid a threshold value of reynolds number above which flow became turbulent in case of producing electricity from water turbine using jet of water?
    if we can then it means that reynolds number is affecting the incoming jet of fluid...
    please correct me if i am wrong!
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    zaveri
    reynold's number is just a measure, and indicates whether the flow is laminar or turbulent.
    as i reply to sir biormani please explain me with some brief detail because i am still in confusion
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Reynold's number is used to differentiate between turbulent flow and laminar flow.

however reynold's number is not the cause, but just an effect.

if the flow is turbulent , then reynold's number is greater 4000 or so. if laminar then it is below 2000.

so i hope this helps. reynolds number does not have any impact on anything, but it self gets affected due to the changing nature of the fluid flow
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    good

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a student of 3rd yr ME...I will appear GATE 2014.Pls suggest books and strategy sirs.I have to crack it in first time. Thank u
Now here i am talking about those 4-stroke single cylinder petrol engines for two-wheelers. now the question is that when the engine is stationary, then what exactly are the positions...
i m a btech 3rd year cse student in SUSEC,Tangori. I want to know the procedure to apply for 6 months industrial training in JAVA in Infosys. please help me............
I am having 2700 rank in GATE-2013 in Mechanical stream. So, I want to know what should i opt a new IIT or an old NIT. If any lower rank...
I am interesting to know about the manufactures of these products: crystalline silicon solar cells, thin-film solar modules, display screens like: Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), touch panel and plasma, thin...