Imagining a window-less user friendly operating system

I believe all of us are used to thinking operating systems in a 'window' based environment. Each operating system viz. Windows, OSX, uBuntu and others are typically window-based; meaning, they provide you with various graphic boxes [windows] to work in.

If you wish to browse the Internet, you must open a new window - that is, your web browser. If you want to type some text, you must open another window - your text editor.

I'm thinking, why should we be limited to a window-based GUI. Can there be something entirely different?

Can you extend this idea further?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    YES.

Virtualization, Thin Client Technology.

Publish Internet Explorer on CITRIX server, allow a thin client to use this. Take a thin client, configure it to connect to above mentioned CITRIX server. Whenever you will start this Thin client and will make a connection to server, this will open an Internet Explorer window. Until we publish an application on CITRIX server(we want the application to be used by user)This thin client will not have any other application / window. This type of virtualization is called as Software Virtualization using Thin computing.

Do let me know, If I am sounding like an Alien.

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Is it only IE we are talking about?I think the discussion is windowless application usage. Is it like loading the content in same window rather than bringing up new windows each time for different applications?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    i guess windows could be replaced by border-less "screen areas"..which could be full-screened on demand..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I said 'window' less, not 'Microsoft Windows' less ๐Ÿ˜
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ahem! we understood that part.
    Sticking to what I previously said, even if we want all the apps to be loaded in same window ( now no more multiple windows) the real issue would be " how can be retrieve back the discontinued action on a different application". Also what about the actions what we perform?like save, edit ?? and what if we have 2 word documents in processing and i need to make one as shared?I think the main reason for having a window is that, to have mutually exclusive functionality for all applications? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The method I explained can be performed on any application. You just needs to publish that application on CITRIX.

There are certain settings which will remove window frames as well. Any thing else???

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Munna Sarfraz Ahmad Engineering Trade: IT Location: India Occupation: Software Engineer Hobbies & Interests: Discovering new Techniques in the world of IT ๐Ÿ˜ Aim in life: To be the...
An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly that made the world community smile.๐Ÿ˜‰ A representative from India began: 'Before beginning my talk I...
Our teacher will take a test after 2 days and I have a problem in C language. Please help me regarding this program. I want to print this output *...
i want to get a topic regarding my major project, i am concentrating my project on cnc programming and its related areas
Oki so I know that this is out of point slightly but I thought I'd give it a go you guys being marine engineers, I was wondering if you know...