CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@sree_23 • 28 Jan, 2013 • 1 like
similarly if a transformer is given DC what will happen?
@zaveri • 28 Jan, 2013 D.C machines when supplied with a.c power may simply not work. i don't really know whether this may damage the field or armature coils.

well i guess this question is similar to the most popular question asked in the mechanical section "what happens when petrol is used in diesel engines and vice versa?"
@lal • 28 Jan, 2013 1. An AC supply periodically changes it's polarity along with the current direction. Assume the dc motor is a seprately excited one. Then the armature current will be periodically changing its direction and the magnetic flux will be constant. So what will probably happen in that case? Fleming has got a rule made for that.

2. And similarly what will be the total impedance if an inductor is supplied by a dc current? Keep in mind dc doesn't change direction at anypoint and transformer basically is an inductor.
@zaveri • 28 Jan, 2013
lal
1. An AC supply periodically changes it's polarity along with the current direction. Assume the dc motor is a seprately excited one. Then the armature current will be periodically changing its direction and the magnetic flux will be constant. So what will probably happen in that case? Fleming has got a rule made for that.

2. And similarly what will be the total impedance if an inductor is supplied by a dc current? Keep in mind dc doesn't change direction at anypoint and transformer basically is an inductor.

In that case the d.C motor just won't start, will it ?
@subhankar ghosh • 29 Jan, 2013 If dc is supplied to transformer,it will burn or damage the windings....bcoz as we know transformer has high inductance and low resistance...hence while input is dc,inductance is zero.and only low resistance left...hence the high current goes through windings ...which destroy the windings or device ...
@Abhishek Rawal • 29 Jan, 2013 • 1 like
sree_23
If a transformer is given DC what will happen?
When DC is applied, the flux produced in core is constant & not alternating.

Due to this there will be no flux linkage in secondary core. Hence, induced emf E = 0 in secondary winding.

Due to this, the transformer core saturation will take place. Thus, primary side will draw excessive large current & at certain stage the coil will burn.
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 30 Jan, 2013 The Fan(AC supply one used in houses) will not run and the Transformer will go in flames

These devices uses the varations in frequency to work the way they are working now If you want to play with their working power do it with all safety precautions and never in large scale
@zaveri • 30 Jan, 2013
Conqueror
Fan will not run and the Transformer will go in flames

These devices uses the varations in frequency to work the way they are working now If you want to play with their working power do it with all safety precautions and never in large scale

what fan are you talking about ?
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 30 Jan, 2013
zaveri
what fan are you talking about ?
The commercial Ceiling fan we use in our houses that which runs in Mains supply buddy

PS: I will edit my previous post and make sure it is not a DC fan
@lal • 30 Jan, 2013
zaveri
In that case the d.C motor just won't start, will it ?
Alternating current changes its direction of flow in every half cycle. So if the torque developed is clockwise in first half cycle, it will be reversed in the next one. A motor with a low moment of inertia will vibrate. Being heavy, but a large machine cannot vibrate at that frequency, I believe.
@arunchary • 31 Jan, 2013 • 1 like Motors are made to have stator and rotor concepts where it rotates according to Flemming and thumb rule.but coming to transformers are the two inductors where primary induces the flux to other(secondary)due to this transform of energy takes place.in Dc motor are use to made other things are discussed in this following video,
2.5k views

Related Posts

@aarthivg · Apr 15, 2012

Today, one of our lecturers asked this question in classroom. It was - What is the magnetic equivalent of ohm's law? I am clueless about the answer to this. Can...
1.8k views

@demetron · Apr 7, 2009

hi after engineering i thought to go for CDAC(may be acts pune) but is there placement is good after that economic recession.and any body knows what is highest payed salary...
13.2k views

@Saandeep Sreerambatla · May 27, 2009

Hi guys , What are mutation strings? How are they used in programming? Can we use the same in C language. Can some give a clear idea about these mutation...
5k views

@Dhananjay Harkare · Jan 30, 2014

As reported by Xinhua, Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) made an announcement at Canberra that robots armed with sensors would be launched in Indian Ocean to study...
2.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jan 8, 2014

Canon India has brought its latest G-series camera model with Canon Powershot G16 in India. The 12.1 megapixel high sensitivity CMOS digital camera features a DIGIC 6 processor and 5x...
1.5k views