Identifying a Unique Hardware based on Disk Signature

I am developing a software which employs product activation. We need to bind our software to only one machine, i.e. the user must not be able to activate his copy on more than one computer.

After a lot of searching I found out that using the MAC address of the NIC we can generate a unique hardware ID. But there are various ways to spoof the MAC easily.

There are other serial numbers too like the Motherboard serial, CPU Id, etc. but I found that many hardware manufactures leave them blank, they just print the serial on the physical hardware.

Another way is to use the Hard Disk signature generated by Windows when it is installed on that disk for the first time. The Disk signature seems to good for our purposes, but I have several queries:

1. Is the Disk Signature unique across all disks?
  2. Will the signature change when the user installs a new copy of Windows?
  3. Can the Disk Signature be changed easily by users?
  4. Is it advised to rely on the Disk Signature for generating a Unique hardware ID for a system?
I hope you got what I am trying to say.
For programmer's reference, here's how I get the signature using C++/CLI and WMI classes.
ManagementClass ^mc = gcnew ManagementClass("Win32_DiskDrive");
ManagementObjectCollection ^moc = mc->GetInstances();
Console::WriteLine("Signature of Hard Disk");
for each (ManagementObject ^mo in moc)
{
    try
    {
        Console::WriteLine("Signature = " + mo["Signature"]);
    }
    catch (Exception ^e)
    {
        Console::WriteLine( "Exception : " + e->Message );
    }
}

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Bump!

Any suggestions? Come on guys!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've always believed that decisions are taken by single person. However, often seen in corporate world, committees or 'focus groups' are setup to take decisions. In my experience a group...
I'd like CEans to contribute the best project ideas they've come across the best project ideas across various engineering disciplines in your college. Just post the information that you have...
CEans, I'm sure all of us will agree that we need to improve the number of quality discussions on CE Forums. Creating more quality discussions is the ONLY way we...
HINT : related to food
Hey folks I got two question that's been bugging me for some time now. First one is why these Deemed Universities and State Private Universities bragged that they dont need...