Identifying a squirrel cage rotor

How can i identify a rotor interms of number of poles, frame size etc if its not marked. l want to match a rotors to their stators but the challenge is there are no details on the rotors. Are there any physical characteristics that i can see to know the number of poles or frame size of these rotors?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    In choosing a rotor there is no need to consider the number of poles in a squirrel cage, because the rotor acts as a short circuited path for the induced current to flow.

So i think the important factors are the rating of the motor and the dimensions. A high rated motor should have the rotor conductors which are able to withstand high current. That means larger conductors for higher rating. Another factor worth considering is the rotor diameter. As rating increases, this diameter increases too for two similar constructions. The airgap length of inductions motors are so small that the inside diameter of the stator is only a notch higher than the rotor diameter. So I guess the rotors can be identified my measuring the inside diameter of the stators. Do share if you found some other way to find it out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

NAME: PRAVEEN M P TRADE:CIVIL ENGINEERING OCCUPATION:SITE ENGINEER IN DM-WIMS HOBBIES:READING BOOKS ,PLAYING SHUTTLE ND FOOTBALL
If bandwidth of some channel is B then why maximum data rate is 2B?
IEEE Community Solutions Initiatives group has published an article about a project to light up millions of homes using a trailer based solar power system made from standard off-the-shelf components....
Google is part of the The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System (SEGS), which will span 3500 acres of public desert land. Thousands of heliostats will focus sun's rays onto a...
Scientific American reports that Scientists in Germany and Spain have demonstrated that a single Hydrogen molecule dancing between two possible positions can move a macro object like a cantilever Quartz...