Hydrogen: how to produce it ,store it and run engine???

Hello,

Please help me. I am doing my project and i have problem
If you can help me I want to know how can produce easy hydrogen from water (seawater) (how much electricity needed?) ,how can I store it, and how can running engine (how much hydrogen needed).

Thanks in advance for any help
Best regards

Replies

• suhasvd
    suhasvd
    Hi,
    Hydrogen can be produced by Electrolysis of water. This processes will also provide O2 & H. The main problem with H is storage.

If you are taking about the regenerating the energy it can be
    1) combustion of 2H and O in close chamber and use heat for running engine ( turbine / positive displacement )
    2) Fuel cell : uses 2H & O to generate electricity and produce water. this is the one of the crucial technology people are working at present.

Suhas
  • nick_cardoza
    nick_cardoza
    hydrogen cells are actually quite interesting, you just need a mixture of water and baking soda (baking soda is not the best mixer, but it works) in proper proportions for the best output. charge them with a electric current through a hydrogen generator and BAM! you have hydrogen. you can run a 4t lawn mower at a high idle with about 1.5lpm of hydrogen.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    hello nick,

The power plants of such vehicles convert the chemical energy of hydrogen to mechanical energy either by burning hydrogen in an internal combustion engine, or by reacting hydrogen with oxygen in a fuel cell to run electric motors. Widespread use of hydrogen for fueling transportation is a key element of a proposed hydrogen economy.
    Hydrogen fuel does not occur naturally on Earth and thus is not an energy source, but is an energy carrier. Currently it is most frequently made from methane or other fossil fuels.

Many companies are working to develop technologies that might efficiently exploit the potential of hydrogen energy for mobile uses. The attraction of using hydrogen as an energy currency is that, if hydrogen is prepared without using fossil fuel inputs, vehicle propulsion would not contribute to carbon dioxide emissions. The drawbacks of hydrogen use are low energy content per unit volume, high tankage weights, the storage, transportation and filling of gaseous or liquid hydrogen in vehicles, the large investment in infrastructure that would be required to fuel vehicles, and the inefficiency of production processes.

For detailed information about Production of Hydrogen & storage

Hydrogen Vehicle and #-Link-Snipped-#
  • musahdan
    musahdan
    Hello everyone. I am doing my project on the "analysis of Jatropha oil as fuel for co-generation in steam generators" and I dont know where to start. Please tell me what I need to do in this project.
  • Wuebbs007
    Wuebbs007
    Re: 1.5 LPM with hydrogen? How big r the fuelcell container and how much mix is used

nick_cardoza
    hydrogen cells are actually quite interesting, you just need a mixture of water and baking soda (baking soda is not the best mixer, but it works) in proper proportions for the best output. charge them with a electric current through a hydrogen generator and BAM! you have hydrogen. you can run a 4t lawn mower at a high idle with about 1.5lpm of hydrogen.
    Im fairly new to HHO (Hydrogen) producing electrolosis. im just trying to get and idea of how the plates are connected; EX: are all the plates connect together ,pos and neg, or are the plate seperated from each other depending on their charge (Pos. and Neg.) and separated by small space? 😕 i know theres a fuel cell, bubbler, and hydrogen outlet. the constuction of cell is my problem. anybody with a good understanding of HHO systems?
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Wuebbs:
    Interesting project and please keep me posted.
    You need to space the plates 5mm apart. This should give you about 1.24V gap. 2 electrons make one H2. The amount of hydrogen you produce is a direct function of the amps: 2 x 6.022x10^23 electrons are required to produce one mole of hydrogen (H2 = 2kg/mole) and a half a mole of oxygen (8kg). The electron has a charge of 1.6x10^-19 coulomb and one amp is equal to 1C/second so that 1A will produce about 5.2x10^-6 molecules of H2 per second. NB! H2 and not H radical.
    Keep the voltage drop as low as possible without short-circuiting; this will maximize the amps for the same power input. You can use AC or DC but use DC. Use thin stainless steel plate and cut holes to allow for the gas o flow freely through the matrix else it inhibits the current. Sand the surfaces to allow the evolved gas to detach easily else voltage will increase, amps will decrease and production will fall off.
    Oxidation occurs at the anode (e.g. O- -> O--) and reduction at the cathode (e.g. H+ -> H). Remember that electrolysis anode/cathode is the reverse of electrical i.e. current flows at electrical anode into H+ i.e. electrolysis cathode. Sea water is tricky because you will also evolve chlorine at the anode so you will need to absorb the chlorine before you introduce it to the engine else acids will form and you will destroy the engine. The liquid residue contains metal hydroxides and I have suggested to use this liquid as a scrubbing fluid to dissolve the chlorine and to then neutralize the chlorine in solution.

Hydrogen releases about 100 to 120 MJ/kg on combustion. Using the motor thermal efficiency and the motor power you can calculate the mass of hydrogen required.

Please mail me directly if you need help. I think this project of yours is worth my time and effort.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Re: 1.5 LPM with hydrogen? How big r the fuelcell container and how much mix is used

About the plates:
    You can use more than two plates in parallel. The plates are threaded over a non-conducting rod and every second plate is connected to each other. The layout is as follows:
    pole--> + | - | + | - | + | - | + | - | <-- pole. All anodes are connected to each other and the pole and all cathodes are connected to each other and the pole. All anodes are electrically isolated from all cathodes and current is only allowed to flow through the electrolyte. You can also connect the plates in series and the arrangement is different. My criticism of this method is that the resistance adds up and hence the voltage increases.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire

Storage:
    Run the electrolysis cell at high pressure and store the gas directly under high pressure. To compress H2 later is costly and difficult. Use steel container such as hydrogen cylinder from your local gas supply company. Hydrogen is extremely flammable and explosive. Read the MSDS and make sure you work with the correct safety equipment and that you work safely. Do not take any chances...hydrogen is not for rookies. Ask your professor to help you and talk to petrochem engineers in your area BEFORE you start out.
    Do a HAZOP and make sure you have everything checked off. Make sure your local council does not have by-laws that you have to conform to and make sure you stick to those. Find out what is the maximum amount of hydrogen you may keep and stay within the regulation, especially with regards to the storage location and storage conditions.

Hydrogen can and will kill you. It can be a long and agonizing death. Remember: safety first!
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire

Fuel cells:
    Fuel cells usually use air and hydrogen but there are hydrogen/oxygen fuel cells available. Typically the feed gas has to be heated to about 80 deg C. Cells are about 80% to 95% efficient and the amount of gas that is used depends on the power output of the cell e.g. a 1 volt cell that delivers 1 watt will produce 1 amp and hence it will consume 5x10^-6/(0.8 to 0.95) moles of H2 per coulomb of electricity i.e. per second as in the example.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    The hydrogen can be fed directly into the intake manifold. If you have a car computer then the air ration has to be adjusted. One kilogram of hydrogen replaces about 2 to 3 kilograms of diesel/petrol.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire

Keep going guys. This is the future
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Storage:
    Run the electrolysis cell at high pressure and store the gas directly under high pressure. To compress H2 later is costly and difficult. Use """""steel container"""" such as hydrogen cylinder from your local gas supply company. Hydrogen is extremely flammable and explosive. Read the MSDS and make sure you work with the correct safety equipment and that you work safely. Do not take any chances...hydrogen is not for rookies. Ask your professor to help you and talk to petrochem engineers in your area BEFORE you start out.
    Do a HAZOP and make sure you have everything checked off. Make sure your local council does not have by-laws that you have to conform to and make sure you stick to those. Find out what is the maximum amount of hydrogen you may keep and stay within the regulation, especially with regards to the storage location and storage conditions.

Hydrogen can and will kill you. It can be a long and agonizing death. Remember: safety first!

Is steel cylinder is safe???
    In my knowledge hydrogen react with carbon in the steel is it correct ???
    and steel is nothing but iron & carbon alloy
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    (maybe metal is better?). You refer to effects that are peculiar to hydrogen. A short survey of the Internet will tell you most of what you need to know. Your gas company has type K cylinders suitable for hydrogen storage. They are red in color and typically contain (from memory) about one kilogram of high pressure H[sub]2[/sub]. They are typically made of Mn-Cr-Mo alloy.

Hydrogen embrittlement (HE) and Stress corrosion cracking (SCC) are the two major causes for failures. SCC fails catastrophically (see Flixborough disaster)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends, i am deepak basically from kanpur.now i am at nagpur doing my engineering in electrical stream. i am here to increase my knowledge and for making friends.i came...
hi friends , i m trying to make bot walking on two legs and able to climb stairs.but i have difficulties on mass transfer from one leg to other ?...
1: Always start with a verified data backup Never make any changes to a server, even minor upgrades, before confirming a verified data backup exists. Whenever a server is powered...
Hello friends, I am doing master's in Electrical engineering and I am interested in doing a project for my final year. I am planning to do a project in VHDL....
Codefest, in association with Codechef presents Manthan, an algorithm intensive programming contest, which is scheduled on 06:00 pm, Mar 28 IST. It is a 6 hour live team contest with...