HTC Hero hands-on

[​IMG]
We're going to need some real time with the device to make a final opinion, but we're cautiously optimistic that HTC has a winner with its new Hero. The beveled edges along the back makes the handset sit comfortably in the hand and the new #-Link-Snipped-# riding a capacitive touchscreen and people-centric approach to managing your information is absolutely dreamy at first blush. The on-screen keyboard also seems quite useable with a nice simulated haptic forced-feedback bounce when you strike each key in either landscape or portrait mode. This intuitive one-hander isn't shy with the specs either as we've already seen in the official press release. Our only concern is possible sluggishness from the Qualcomm processor that cause the graphic transitions to stutter a bit and results in screen rotations that feel dangerously uncomfortable. But we were told that the device we saw was running pre-production firmware so there's still time to tweak -- though not much with a July European launch. We had a sit down with HTC execs and learned that the Hero is not a "#-Link-Snipped-#" device. As such, you won't find the Google logo anywhere (no big deal) but you also won't be downloading any apps over the air -- sideloading only kids. Not a deal breaker but an annoying and seemingly arbitrary limitation nonetheless. We're upping video and pics over this janky WiFi as we speak so check back for updates. In the meantime, we've dropped in a few side-by-side shots with the HTC Magic, Nokia N97, and iPhone 3G after the break.
Gallery: #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Filed under: #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-# originally appeared on Engadget | Technology News & Reviews on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:45:00 EST. Please see our #-Link-Snipped-#.

#-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I hear this can run flash files?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The documentation squad will be responsible for coming up with PDfs to be included in our CE Media Kit. Remember folks, our ultimate aim is to have CE Media Kit...
Hello people, I'm a new user of Simulink. i wrote an algo' for pupil detection in matlab, now i want to convert this code to simulink code because i want...
Hello people, i'm working on simulink with real time camera, i wrote embedded matlab code with loops that run's on the frame matrix and this makes a delay in my...
Learning a foreign language is not just a hobby anymore. Needless to say, It’s got more benefits than ever. Here's bringing you a simple way of learning Basics of Japanese....
I am BACK !!! with another series of Can You Design: This time its differnt then las times... you need not to jump into technicalities. All of us live in...