How would you define an 'Indian'?

Would you define an Indian by his historical roots or by his living deeds in the present?

What differentiates these two types of Indians from each other?

Which would you prefer to be?

Discuss!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anyone who thinks he's an Indian is an Indian. Technically, if you are a citizen of India; you are an Indian.
  • Raj A
    Raj A
    Before that I have a doubt, What is the origin of word INDIA?? Can anyone please elaborate?? Why there is variety of names of our country- viz. Bharat, Hindusthan etc etc??
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Raj A
    Before that I have a doubt, What is the origin of word INDIA?? Can anyone please elaborate?? Why there is variety of names of our country- viz. Bharat, Hindusthan etc etc??
    name India is derived from the river Indus or Sindhu.......as this country was seemed by the Britishers/moghul invaders , near the great Indus valley which had popular flourished civilization at that time......Word Bharat is the original word used to reference India since ancient times and is named after the mythological or real(doubt) Shakuntala's son bharat...after his brave deeds.....and hindustan term was coined by mahatma gandhi to just tell the muslim community residing here that this country is also theirs and is a combination of 2 words....
    hindu
    (vernacular word)+stan(persian word)...
    however don't know the exact documented source ..but 2 years ago....a lawyer told me that constitutionally only India and Bharat are the accepted terms to describe our nation...........there's no mention of the word hindustan and hence it's probable that this word has been culminated from the political situations that existed at that time and is used still to.....
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    If you plant a mango seed brought from US in India , will you continue to send the mangoes to America simply for the fact of its origin? For me, wherever the plant flourishes defines its identity. If it is in my garden, it's mine and if it's in yours, it's yours. And so goes for any identity be it community, society, state or country.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1,000,000,000,000,000 watts - we wrote it, you read it. That's how powerful the world's most powerful laser will be. Research engineers at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory aka LLNL have...
Hi frds I m doing project on " detection and classification of plant leaves diseases " its tell that the leaf is healthy or unhealthy. i want to write code...
Syrian Electronic Army, SEA managed to hack the domain of the biggest social networking site, Facebook. On it's 10th Anniversary, Facebook was given Surprise when SEA managed to change the...
I almost find it stupid that most of the smart phones have rear facing speakers. I think front facing speakers, except for the ear-phone is a must in smartphones and...
Toyota Etios Cross SUV was unveiled at the ongoing Auto Expo in Delhi. It was high time that Toyota had to introduce a competitor to Ford EcoSport and Renault's Duster...