CrazyEngineers
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • chithrachennai

MemberAug 7, 2013

sir ,

once i was asked in an interview why the industrial standards are 4-20 mA for current , voltage 0-30 V (i am not sure about voltage standard)?

can you please explain this concept

thanks in advance .
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Jeffrey Arulraj

MemberAug 7, 2013

Sub 1W criteria will be met in those condition for sure

And also most electronic Component operate in the 0 to 30 V region with about 20mA current through them
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberAug 7, 2013

chithrachennai
    once i was asked in an interview why the industrial standards are 4-20 mA for current , voltage 0-30 V (i am not sure about voltage standard)? can you please explain this concept
    The advantage of a current loop is that the resistance of the connecting leads especially over long signal transmission lines does not affect analog signals. The electronics will adjust the voltage to ensure that the analog signal retains the accuracy. In an industrial environment with varying electro-magnetic loads, current loops have very good reliability.
    The 4ma zero value has a bonus in that it tells if there is a break in the leads.
    Here is a good article on current loops from National Instruments:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

A voltage analog output has to be used with a high impedance measuring circuit.
    I do not know why 0-30V is specified. If I may hazard a guess the higher voltage is likely to be more accurate than millivolt signals because of lead impedance.
    Cancel
  • Surya Neo

MemberAug 10, 2013

thanks
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register