CrazyEngineers
  • I have no idea since when I have started loving documentary films. I think they have a greater appeal than commercial cinema because they are treated with raw hands.

I would love to make a documentary film someday. Dedicating this thread to sharing ideas/concepts/tips for beginners like me for making our first documentary film.

Let us assume that we are shooting with a normal digicam or cellphone camera. What are the different things that one should keep in mind before starting to shoot? (apart from concept, ofcourse 😛)
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJan 29, 2012

Isn't the concept stage is quite big already? 😛 How would you plan the documentary out? Perhaps the script needs to be fleshed out, then a simple storyboard to illustrate what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it.

I think its better to invest in a digicam rather than using a cellphone camera if you wanna do documentary. Shouldn't cost that much these days. You'd want to be able to capture decent video quality to make it a more enjoyable viewing experience. A separate microphone set should be used if you are going to interview people, then in post production you can sync the video and audio together.

I believe lighting plays an important role in capturing good images, so planning on the time of day and weather.

Oh, and a good video editing software is a must 😀 If your ok with using Linux, there's a highly acclaimed free video editor called OpenShot.

I'm also looking forward for tips by others too!
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJan 29, 2012

@ash: I think Apple's iMovie is also a great choice. Never tried OpenShot.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register