How to make a documentary film? - Basic Tips & Suggestions

I have no idea since when I have started loving documentary films. I think they have a greater appeal than commercial cinema because they are treated with raw hands.

I would love to make a documentary film someday. Dedicating this thread to sharing ideas/concepts/tips for beginners like me for making our first documentary film.

Let us assume that we are shooting with a normal digicam or cellphone camera. What are the different things that one should keep in mind before starting to shoot? (apart from concept, ofcourse 😛)

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Isn't the concept stage is quite big already? 😛 How would you plan the documentary out? Perhaps the script needs to be fleshed out, then a simple storyboard to illustrate what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it.

I think its better to invest in a digicam rather than using a cellphone camera if you wanna do documentary. Shouldn't cost that much these days. You'd want to be able to capture decent video quality to make it a more enjoyable viewing experience. A separate microphone set should be used if you are going to interview people, then in post production you can sync the video and audio together.

I believe lighting plays an important role in capturing good images, so planning on the time of day and weather.

Oh, and a good video editing software is a must 😀 If your ok with using Linux, there's a highly acclaimed free video editor called OpenShot.

I'm also looking forward for tips by others too!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ash: I think Apple's iMovie is also a great choice. Never tried OpenShot.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Channel Tunnel (French: Le tunnel sous la Manche), known colloquially as the Chunnel, is a 50.5-kilometre (31.4 mi) undersea rail tunnel linking Folkestone, Kent near Dover in the United...
What is the best alternative for windows paint in a mac other than preview? I need basic image editing tools & editor for drawing simple diagrams and flowcharts.
The An-225 Mriya is a strategic airlift transport aircraft which was built by the Antonov Design Bureau, and is the largest flying airplane ever built. The design, built to transport...
What are some of the best books for Android Programming Basics with exercises & examples? I know one from O'Reilly called "Android Application Development: Programming with the Google SDK" -...
Quoting from the Discovery Website- Across the planet, millions of people have seen them - jet aircraft vapor trails lingering in the sky. Are these just regular "contrails" - the...