How to create, run & manage your own website - Part I

CEans,

I get many queries on how to create, run and manage a website. I'm presenting a series of 3 articles to tell you how to go about having your own website.

When I started; I knew nothing about domains, web hosts, bandwidth et al. I learned everything on the job. I think that is the best way. Do not expect that after reading this series you will know everything about running a successful website. I'll definitely help you avoid the mistakes I did. Do not be afraid to make mistakes. People who don't make mistakes, don't go anywhere.

Before we begin understanding steps involved in starting a website, let me inform you: This series is meant for people wanting to have their own domain, own web-space etc. and are willing to spend money.

Starting with the right attitude:

Even before we take the first step towards building a website, the first thing is building it in our (your!) brain. I'd advise that you build a website around something you are passionate about. If money-making is your sole purpose, 99% are the chances you will fail. Making money from website requires lot of patience, hard work, determination and dedication. Ask yourself these simple question:-

1. Do I really want to have my own website?
2. Will I be able to give it all the time it will require?
3. Am I passionate about having my own website and making it big?

If you answer to any question above is negative; you are not ready for setting up your website.

Getting Started:

Let us now understand what is involved in creating your own website.

1. Registering your domain name
2. Buying web-space (to install software, store files, databases etc.) and bandwidth from web-host.

Registering Your Domain Name:

A domain name is simply your website address that you enter in web browser to access any website. For example, crazyengineers dot com is a domain name.

Think of a great name for your website. Go for something that is easier to remember. Go with something that is catchy and attracts attention.

Now, use a domain search service [ Ex: #-Link-Snipped-# ] to see if the domain is available. Chances are high that someone might have already registered it. Don't lose heart. Have a list of domains ready.

[Tip: Whether to go with domain ending in .com, .net, .org, .edu, .in, .us is your choice. Typically an educatioal institute would have domain ending in .edu. An Indian website would have domain ending in .in, a commercial website will have a domain ending in .com and so on. Go with the one that sounds better to your ears ๐Ÿ˜€ ]

You will need an international credit/debit card to buy the domain. You may register your domain for variable period starting with 1 year up to 10 years.

Registering an account with web-host [ Web space, bandwidth & database etc.] :

Honestly speaking, this is the most important step in the whole website business. A bad web host can screw you (I mean it!) and make your life hell. A good web hosting provider can make you smile.

Jokes apart, let me first talk a bit about how to choose a web-host -

Your selection of web host & type of account [we'll cover it below] depends entirely upon your requirements. You should first decide what's going to be on your website. Are you going to upload lot of videos on your website? Are you going to post all your photos on your website? Are you starting a forum that'll get huge traffic?

Answering these questions will help you decide the following:-

• How much web space do I need?
  • How much traffick will my website attract?
  • What is the primary function of my website?
Assuming that you aren't going for something on the lines of YouTube or Flickr; you can get started with a shared hosting account with a decent web-host.

Brief Info:
Shared Account: Will have limited web-space, bandwidth and database. Best for most of the websites.
VPS Account: Virtual Private Server: Shared hosting upgraded. More web-space, bandwidth, database etc.
Dedicated Server Account: You get a complete server (machine) dedicated to you. Don't bother about it right now.
We'll go through this in depth in part II of the series: Running your website.

Remember: Registering a domain name and registering an account with web-host are two entirely different things independent of each other. Few of the web hosts make it easy by registering the domain name on your account and some domain registrars provide you some web space to get you started. You may choose to secure your domain name now and build a website months later.

With this information, we have some idea about what it takes to creating your web-site. To summarize:

1. You need to register a domain name.
2. You need to buy web space and bandwidth from web host.
3. You need an international credit card ready. It's safe to use your credit card with established domain registrars and web hosts. Some even provide money back guarantee ๐Ÿ˜‰ .
4. You must create your website in your brain before you go with securing domain and web space.
5. Start with the right attitude.

Recommended Domain Registrar ->

#-Link-Snipped-#

Recommended Web Host [ CrazyEngineers Referral ] ->

Liquid Web - Managed Hosting & Custom Solutions

I will be happy to answer any queries you may have in this thread. Be willing to read and be willing to learn. There is no short cut to anywhere worth going.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice biggie. Hope I can contribute as well!

Another recommended domain registrar is Moniker ๐Ÿ˜€

If you want to save cost on storage, you can opt for free hosting. One great one is called 110mb, in which they provide 5GB of space and 300 GB of monthly bandwidth.

When you start of with your journey of having your own domain, you'll bound to encounter issues like DNS names, forwarding, etc. Quite fun stuff ๐Ÿ˜‰

The easiest way to have your own website is to get a domain name and a blog ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Great post indeed. I assume your next article is going to be on how to create a website.

PS: I'm going to recommend godaddy here. I bought my domain (#-Link-Snipped-#) from godaddy and guess what, it gave me a free hosting space of 10GB. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Godaddy has good plans and they are not costly.
  • fake_lover01
    fake_lover01
    great stuff.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Bravo! Encore this is nice information biggie !adn cEan
  • sanya09.01
    sanya09.01
    HI Big_K
    I have a query. I have registered the domain from godaddy.com but can't I buy the web space from them as well?
    In the account manager it says that I have no hosting accnt but it also says that to apply a free Hosting credit, click on the "Use Credit" link for the account type you want to activate.
    Free Hosting with domain - Economy Hosting - (Free with Domain) use credit(1 avail)
    Does this mean that I can avail that credit and use it for the hosting space?
    Or will I have to buy a different webspace?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanya -

You can buy web space from Godaddy. You'll have to login to your domain account manager and subscribe to (purchase) hosting space. I'm not sure of the hosting credits in Godaddy; but I'm sure if you write to their tech-support, they'll help you activate hosting along with your domain.

If you are going for anything more than a simple content based website, I'd recommend going for a better web host. I'd not recommend Godaddy as a web host. They are awesome domain registrars though.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    @Sanya-

You can use the hosting credit by Godaddy and host your website for free there. The free web space is good enough (10 Gb) and well supported by Godaddy. So you need not buy additional web space. If you follow the instructions well, you can easily do it yourself.

However if you are building a website that needs to have optimal SEO, I'd also suggest you use a better webhost.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    hey shall we create the list of sites who provide registration & hosting ???
    i know few.
    Domain reg.=>#-Link-Snipped-#
    Buy a domain name - Register cheap domain names from $0.99 - Namecheap
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The list is going to be HUGE. There are tons of companies who offer hosting services. Godaddy is good in domain registration. I'd not advise going with other lesser known registrars.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Another query is to build any website, the knowledge of HTML & webdesign is must?? or anyone who is far away from this can also build good website?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    Another query is to build any website, the knowledge of HTML & webdesign is must?? or anyone who is far away from this can also build good website?
    Yes and No. You may simply install a content management system like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal and install a free/premium theme with just few clicks through the CMS control panel. But if you want to customize it to suit your needs - you will need HTML/JS/CSS knowledge - depending upon the level of customization required.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Thanks. What is about economy, If may site is successful then how can i afford huge bills of hosting & bandwidth.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You'll have to figure out a business model around your website.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    what you want to say? I did not understand anything!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    Thanks. What is about economy, If may site is successful then how can i afford huge bills of hosting & bandwidth.
    As your website's traffic improves you will need to throw in more money to keep it alive (server bills) and also pay for security, bandwidth etc. This means, you will either have to pay the money through your own pockets or make the site self-sustaining by building a business model around it. This means you might have to build a business out of your website - it could be selling stuff online through your website or selling advertisements space etc.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    what you prefer?? I defiantly impressed with your work in CE. It is stable & good progress, but i can find any advertise here. Another site have many pops up advertisement. So what is your method?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The general rule of thumb is what works for one site may not work for other. We have direct advertisers as well as site monetization programs in place (Google Adsense) which keep the site alive. However, there are tons of other methods which you should explore based on the nature of your site.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    thanks.....
  • rubensg
    rubensg
    The_Big_K
    The list is going to be HUGE. There are tons of companies who offer hosting services. Godaddy is good in domain registration. I'd not advise going with other lesser known registrars.
    I agree, there are quite a few good #-Link-Snipped-# where you can either register your domain, get web space or even both from the same provider. There are several advantages and disadvantages of getting both form the same webhost, you'll have to make up your own mind.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    awesome post sir #-Link-Snipped-#
    Its a great help for beginners.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai friends.i am trinath & new to this group.i am in my final semester EEE. my project is OPTIMIZING THE PERFORMANCE OF CUK CONVERTER BY IMPROVING THE CONTROLLERS USING GENETIC...
What are Web services? Can anyone explain with a real time Example. I am Confused, Microsoft has its own Web Service like My services. Its based on the Microsoft passport...
The question is 'can we'? I've my own doubts! It really hurts to see young engineering students seeking ready-made stuff. Some are so careless that they ask for free presentations...
Alright! I'm a complete newbie to structural engineering fundamentals and I'm sorry if the question is too basic. I believe it's an important one. One of the news channel just...
I've seen few of the marine engineers on CE. Can anyone explain what is marine engineering about?