How to build earth quake resistant buildings?

CEans,

This has been my favorite topic since my civil engineering days. We had made a small research paper on how to prevent settling of houses in faulty/mushy soils. Now since modern techniques have come into picture, there are one too many hybrid structures that are being built to take the impact of seismic disturbances.

Can any one help me out listing some of the new techniques for building an earthquake resistant house?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Although lot of research has been done in the field of earth-qake proof structures, I think there is always a better way.

Fantastic thread, Mayur! Structural & Civil engineers! Get started ! ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    The high rise buildings usually have a heavy oscillator to balance out the swings that happen during the earthquakes.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Yes, I had heard about the oscillators. Can you share more detail about it? as in how they are installed and how they function?

I read some time back in a magazine about the new technique they are using these days. Its called Seismic retrofitting. It is the modification of existing structures to make them more resistant to seismic activity, ground motion, or soil failure due to earthquakes. Not only earthquakes, they also protect old buildings from tornados, cyclones and severe wind pressures.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder why this thread is down! CEans ! Where are you ?

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    The_Big_K
    I wonder why this thread is down! CEans ! Where are you ?

-The Big K-
    here I am ๐Ÿ˜Ž !! I suggest improvement in the structure of buildings. How about having flexible joints in the steel columns?
  • crook
    crook
    ... low activity, what else๐Ÿ˜›
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    I guess I have heard about Japanese technology somewhere. Take a look at following link #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sorayna
    Sorayna
    Japanese tehnology is growing as I heard
  • ranvir1986
    ranvir1986
    hello everyone,
    im new to CE, a mechanical engineering student though, but had something to offer to this particular thread.
    I know a mechanism which rationalizes the vibrations caused by an earthquake into 1. dangerous 2.non dangerous planes. Quite obviously, it would be more fatal if a structure sways horizontally and it would be equally non fatal if it bobs up and down.
    This solution is based upon identifying these modes of vibrations and by converting the dangerous modes into non dangerous ones by means of powerful actuators, the electronics engineers would be more aware of actuators, though smaller ones at that.
    If any one wants to consider this as a possibilty, just let me know, i have more detailed documentation on this.๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi Ranvir, it would be great if you elaborate more on the point that you are making. I'm sure many crazy civil engineers will be interested.

Looking forward to your reply,

-The Big K-
  • bhavsarvs
    bhavsarvs
    hi Ranvir, I am interested in point you have made here. and would like to see documents on the subject.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Got this problem from a friend through IM. Solve it ! An ant is at a fixed end 'P' of a 1 meter-long rubber band. Just as the ant starts...
main() { int a = 1; int c,d; c = ++a + ++a + ++a; printf("\n%d",a); printf("\n%d ", c); getch(); } The above C code after the execution gives the...
Hi Folks, I am final year computer engineering student. Could anyone suggest me the latest hot topics for the seminar related to latest computer technology. Regards, Satendra
CEans, Please help me choose a backup utility. Requirements are as below - Should be Free ๐Ÿ˜ Should support Windows Vista Should allow me to choose individual folders to backup...
hi, i want to input 8 bits to EPP port. I have tried using 74HC244, 74LS244, 74LS245 as buffers but then also i am observing problem of overloading. If I...