CrazyEngineers
  • CEans,

This has been my favorite topic since my civil engineering days. We had made a small research paper on how to prevent settling of houses in faulty/mushy soils. Now since modern techniques have come into picture, there are one too many hybrid structures that are being built to take the impact of seismic disturbances.

Can any one help me out listing some of the new techniques for building an earthquake resistant house?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorApr 11, 2007

Although lot of research has been done in the field of earth-qake proof structures, I think there is always a better way.

Fantastic thread, Mayur! Structural & Civil engineers! Get started ! 😁

-The Big K-
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Elisa

MemberApr 13, 2007

The high rise buildings usually have a heavy oscillator to balance out the swings that happen during the earthquakes.
    Cancel
  • Mayur Pathak

MemberApr 13, 2007

Yes, I had heard about the oscillators. Can you share more detail about it? as in how they are installed and how they function?

I read some time back in a magazine about the new technique they are using these days. Its called Seismic retrofitting. It is the modification of existing structures to make them more resistant to seismic activity, ground motion, or soil failure due to earthquakes. Not only earthquakes, they also protect old buildings from tornados, cyclones and severe wind pressures.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorApr 17, 2007

I wonder why this thread is down! CEans ! Where are you ?

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • crook

MemberApr 19, 2007

The_Big_K
    I wonder why this thread is down! CEans ! Where are you ?

-The Big K-
    here I am 😎 !! I suggest improvement in the structure of buildings. How about having flexible joints in the steel columns?
    Cancel
  • crook

MemberJun 16, 2007

... low activity, what else😛
    Cancel
  • Elisa

MemberJun 26, 2007

I guess I have heard about Japanese technology somewhere. Take a look at following link #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Sorayna

MemberAug 16, 2007

Japanese tehnology is growing as I heard
    Cancel
  • ranvir1986

MemberAug 27, 2007

hello everyone,
    im new to CE, a mechanical engineering student though, but had something to offer to this particular thread.
    I know a mechanism which rationalizes the vibrations caused by an earthquake into 1. dangerous 2.non dangerous planes. Quite obviously, it would be more fatal if a structure sways horizontally and it would be equally non fatal if it bobs up and down.
    This solution is based upon identifying these modes of vibrations and by converting the dangerous modes into non dangerous ones by means of powerful actuators, the electronics engineers would be more aware of actuators, though smaller ones at that.
    If any one wants to consider this as a possibilty, just let me know, i have more detailed documentation on this.😎
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorAug 27, 2007

Hi Ranvir, it would be great if you elaborate more on the point that you are making. I'm sure many crazy civil engineers will be interested.

Looking forward to your reply,

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • bhavsarvs

MemberApr 14, 2011

hi Ranvir, I am interested in point you have made here. and would like to see documents on the subject.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register