How to anchor a college-fest- Do's and Dont's

My first encounter with the 'stage', I remember, was in the 7th grade and ever since I have absolutely fallen in love with it. The shiny mikes, scripts, the ceremonial red drapes have all always enticed me. I like anchoring and being on stage and my friends tell me that I do a pretty good job at it.😁

So when a Junior from my college, recently called for some tips regarding hosting the annual college-fest, I thought my little experience could be of help to many of you out there, who might have faced/ face similar confusion regarding it.

Do's -

1. Have a pleasant welcoming persona on stage- This includes all the small things from how you choose to dress to how you present yourself with your body language. Always be respectful and formal if you are anchoring some official academic event. At other times for example at fun events, you can keep it informal and lively.

2. Be clear and concise with your words- Try not to sound boringly monotonous with your voice and words. Modulate your voice where needed and have clear crisp pronunciation of the words.Practice beforehand if needed. Keep it short and sweet.

3. Have an appropriate amount of eye-contact with your audience- You really need to engage your audience, and the simplest way to do it is to have equal and appropriate amount of proper eye contact. Audience need to feel as active participants and not mere passive listeners of the event.

4. Always keep your wits about you on stage- This is the single most important tip when on stage. Anything and everything can wrong on stage even with all the impeccable preparations. Have presence of mind and general common sense in such situations to tackle them effectively.

Dont's-

1. Don't take things personally- Hooting, hostile behavior, name-calling are all part and parcel of anchoring a college-fest. Don't lose control in such situations or take things to heart. It is all always circumstantial. Find ways to tackle such situations with diplomacy and light,playful approach.

2. Never fidget on stage- Even though you might be a bundle of nerves inside, always appear calm, confident and if I may say so, invincible, on stage. Go in with a thought of having fun instead of the thoughts of carrying on some heavy responsibility. It would make you feel a great deal better.

3. Never ever lose control- Being the Master of ceremony entails that you are literally directing the course of things here. Just as a choirmaster can ill-afford to lose control over an orchestra, an anchor of the event cannot afford to lose control over him/herself during a ceremony. All the show is destined to go haywire if you do this.

4. Dont fear or presuppose all the bad things needlessly- While it is okay to be a bit anxious before the event, it is necessary that you don't assume all the worse scenarios happening for you beforehand. It kills your confidence and positive frame of mind which are required for hosting a successful event.

I would be delighted to know, if these tips helped you even in the slightest bit possible. Do post in your experiences, successes/disasters or any more tips to be added, in the discussion below.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    #-Link-Snipped-# has perfectly taken care of the basics here are my two cents on this topic

One of the things that you have to note when it comes to hosting college fests is that what part of the ceremony you fit in. I, for example fit to the formal side of the college fest. You know the boring side where you have guests, your principal and other dignitaries. While hosting these sets you need to have formal wear. Your voice should not be too high or too low. Keep the things as brisk as possible because you know the students are getting restless for the fun to begin. Make sure you have rehearsed the script and pronouncing the names correctly is a must. The entire session must be in English.

If you are on the fun side of the college fest, you can go nuts with it. No need to stick to English use Hindi or your local language. Instead of a host you must turn into emcee keeping the crowd engaged and entertained.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I will write my views here strictly from the point of view of an audience member. I am not the one to stay in limelight unless it's THE demand. However, having attended hundreds of technical events, conferences, college fests where the anchor bores you to death, I think I can shell out a few points about the Do's and Dont's for an anchor -

An anchor is responsible for taking the event forward and definitely NOT to make the audience feel like running the hell away from the room. Sadly, most college vents seem to have really boring anchors. So I think the 2 most important things to do are - Keeping the momentum going by NOT totally breaking off from the point of the last performance/show and NOT being repetitive.

Being funny or giving a fun tone to the event helps. The fun things should be rooted in the theme of the event and not be random. Other technical aspects are the most perfectly described by #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shreya P@ndey
    Shreya P@ndey
    Rucha Wankhede
    My first encounter with the 'stage', I remember, was in the 7th grade and ever since I have absolutely fallen in love with it. The shiny mikes, scripts, the ceremonial red drapes have all always enticed me. I like anchoring and being on stage and my friends tell me that I do a pretty good job at it.😁

So when a Junior from my college, recently called for some tips regarding hosting the annual college-fest, I thought my little experience could be of help to many of you out there, who might have faced/ face similar confusion regarding it.

Do's -

1. Have a pleasant welcoming persona on stage- This includes all the small things from how you choose to dress to how you present yourself with your body language. Always be respectful and formal if you are anchoring some official academic event. At other times for example at fun events, you can keep it informal and lively.

2. Be clear and concise with your words- Try not to sound boringly monotonous with your voice and words. Modulate your voice where needed and have clear crisp pronunciation of the words.Practice beforehand if needed. Keep it short and sweet.

3. Have an appropriate amount of eye-contact with your audience- You really need to engage your audience, and the simplest way to do it is to have equal and appropriate amount of proper eye contact. Audience need to feel as active participants and not mere passive listeners of the event.

4. Always keep your wits about you on stage- This is the single most important tip when on stage. Anything and everything can wrong on stage even with all the impeccable preparations. Have presence of mind and general common sense in such situations to tackle them effectively.

Dont's-

1. Don't take things personally- Hooting, hostile behavior, name-calling are all part and parcel of anchoring a college-fest. Don't lose control in such situations or take things to heart. It is all always circumstantial. Find ways to tackle such situations with diplomacy and light,playful approach.

2. Never fidget on stage- Even though you might be a bundle of nerves inside, always appear calm, confident and if I may say so, invincible, on stage. Go in with a thought of having fun instead of the thoughts of carrying on some heavy responsibility. It would make you feel a great deal better.

3. Never ever lose control- Being the Master of ceremony entails that you are literally directing the course of things here. Just as a choirmaster can ill-afford to lose control over an orchestra, an anchor of the event cannot afford to lose control over him/herself during a ceremony. All the show is destined to go haywire if you do this.

4. Dont fear or presuppose all the bad things needlessly- While it is okay to be a bit anxious before the event, it is necessary that you don't assume all the worse scenarios happening for you beforehand. It kills your confidence and positive frame of mind which are required for hosting a successful event.

I would be delighted to know, if these tips helped you even in the slightest bit possible. Do post in your experiences, successes/disasters or any more tips to be added, in the discussion below.
    Good info Rucha Wankhede. I agree with you. Adding on to Do's

A power start
    It’s a good idea to start your opening speech with powerful, influencing words. A short, crisp quote at the very beginning strengthens your hold much more than a straightaway ‘Good morning’ or ‘Good evening’.On Teachers’ day for example, you may start off with a small poem dedicated to teachers before introducing yourself and your co-anchor. If it’s your annual fest, you can use a short four liner like:
    Show of soaring competence
    Glow of the dazzling stars,
    It is larger than dreams,
    A festival larger than life!
    Dress appropriately, look good.
    Clothes maketh the perfect anchor! On the stage, you cannot afford to mess up the first impression. As a host for an event, you need to dress accordingly, that is also to say appropriately and responsibly.
    For example, on Independence Day or Teachers’ Day, a formal turnout like #-Link-Snipped-# is a welcome sight. On the other hand, a birthday bash or a farewell demands a dazzling look with a Western touch.

Actions speak louder than words!
    Be very particular about your body language and expressions. Too much movement of your hands while speaking, or constantly shifting to and fro your position is to be avoided. Your posture speaks volumes about your confidence level.

Innovation is welcome!
    Instead of a regular, typical flow of events, a twist in the tale never fails to win hearts. Raps have taken centre stage at many events recently! You could even break into a song or dance, mimic a celebrity, the list is endless! Such ideas are not only loved by the audience, but also make you stand out, as an anchor. The thumb rule however is not to get self indulgent and go overboard! Remember you are the anchor and not the performer.

Working with co-anchors
    If you’re hosting with a partner, it is important to work together and agree on a script. Interacting with each other should be an integral part of the script. Introducing performances through interactive chats, witty exchanges, jointly praising performers are some ways that you can interact on stage. It is also important to give your co anchor an equal chance to speak; make sure you do not dominate or interrupt.

Dealing with a difficult audience
    Hostile or interruptive audiences are not uncommon. But how do you handle them? It’s not easy, but its not impossible either. First and Foremost, Don’t take things to heart! You could use a little diplomacy or even humor! Taking a light and playful approach generally works most of the time!

All’s well that ends well
    A great show needs a great ending. As a traditional concluding speech, you thank the dignitaries first, and then the audience and wish them a pleasant day. Why not make it a bit innovative?After delivering the vote of thanks, you may sign off with music and dance, leave them with a good thought or you may hum a goodbye song and gradually fade the pitch as the audience begins to be dismissed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HMD Global has had a rethink when it comes of one of its current smartphones. HMD Global who currently have the Nokia brand name to themselves have added an extra...
If you are someone who pays frequent visits to torrent search engines then you might have noticed that they offer two options to download the file you are looking for....
Part 2 highlights common practices that focus on manufacturability and cost when designing and creating parts. CNC Guide (Part 2): How Changing Features Can Mitigate Manufacturability
Want to hear from CEans who've worked on JS frameworks and have tried Vue. I'm pretty new to JS and learnign Vue these days. What do our fellow CEans who've...
The Chinese tech-giant Vivo, known for its great camera specification smartphones, has recently unveiled a new device dubbed Y79 for its home market. The variant in the Y-series of smartphones...