How To Access Wikipedia During Blackout Today

Here are few tips to access Wikipedia during the 24 hour protest blackout will begin in less than an hour. Since no one can really survive without Wikipedia, here are few tips to access Wikipedia even when it's down. Try these simple tips -

1. Through Google Cache: The best thing about Google Cache is that every page it has indexed is available even when the original site goes down. We probably know that the information you'll try to look out for during the blackout has been cached by your search friend Google. In order to access the cached page, simply search the keywords on Google and then in the search results, click on the 'cache' link. You'll be redirected to the cached copy of the original wikipedia content. Works the best for all the websites.

2. Wikipedia Offline iOS & Android Apps: These apps store the Wikipedia content in their databases and make it available on your phones and tablet computers. Simply download following apps: Wiki Offiline for iOS: #-Link-Snipped-# OR WikiDroid for Android: #-Link-Snipped-# . Both these apps are free for download for respective app stores.

Desktop users need not feel 1990sh. Click on #-Link-Snipped-# and you will have all the Wikipedia stored on your desktop. Makes it easier to access during the downtime.

3. Wikipedia Mirror Websites: All of Wikipedia content is based on creative commons license so other websites can share the information published on the wikipedia.org website. Try this mirror website provided by the Free Dictionary: Wikipedia (TheFreeDictionary.com mirror) .

4. Wikipedia Alternative: Frankly speaking, there can't be a wikipedia alternative given the size and contributions people make to it. But when the main site goes down, you can try rival #-Link-Snipped-# . You'll likely find all the information you're trying to search.

Disclaimer: Above article is based on tips provided by: #-Link-Snipped-# , re-written by yours truly.

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Here is another link that I came across:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Mobile site is still working Great!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    born_star16
    Mobile site is still working Great!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Almost forgot that ๐Ÿ˜ . Did anyone try out the tips I mentioned above?
  • lal
    lal
    Another method. Only works if you are on a slow *very slow* connection ๐Ÿ˜
    Actually the wikipedia page loads completely and only after that, the blackout page comes up. So I hit the stop button while the real page is loading and alas, there is wikipedia in English!! ๐Ÿ˜

Never ever thought a slow internet connection is a boon ๐Ÿ˜›
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    I think the black out page was controlled in JavaScript.

I had new scripts disabled by default using noScript firefox addon, and Wikipedia was simply accessible ^^

It went back to blackout when I enabled all JavaScript.
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    The_Big_K
    Almost forgot that ๐Ÿ˜ . Did anyone try out the tips I mentioned above?
    Hey, inspite of working mobile site, I have used "cached page" trick on Desktop.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ixigo is your friend when it comes to making the whole process of online air ticketing easy. The latest offering from ixigo for the social networking platforms like facebook and...
IIT Madras has finally banned Facebook access on Campus, not to be a moral police; but the free up the congested network. The faculty has blocked the access since last...
IIT Madras has banned facebook on their college campus saying that the traffic to the site chokes their networks: https://www.crazyengineers.com/commu...-free-up-congested-network.51679/#post-200840 Do you think that banning facebook on college campus is...
The construction of Moscow tower began in 2003 and is expected to complete in 2016 if the project continues to maintain pace. The tower will host two towers over a...
CEans, as we earlier revealed that the mobile style is under development. Our analytics shows that android and ios are the top mobile operating systems used to access CE. However...