How does research work increase a company's stock prices?

I was reading additional material about Samsung's research about Samsung Speeds Up Data Transmission By 5 Times - 4.6 GBPS Now Possible and came across an article that said soon Samsung's stock would jump. I've read about it multiple times in newspapers, but always overlooked it.

Could anyone share why & how a significant progress work in R&D department of a company results or converts in increase of its stock price?

PS: My question might be too naive, so please excuse.

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, those companies who wont invest in R&D would likely never come across any technical breakthroughs. As such, they have very low chances of making a sellable technology that can earn the company money. Besides, those companies which do invest in R&D, would likely get the inventions copyrighted to them, the IP laws are very strict. This makes the technology proprietary to that company, making them sole owners of it and that gives them the right to make money out of it: exclusively!

Now, it only makes sense that the stock holders (and the public who want to invest) are interested in seeing their company make profits, which directly translates to increased stock prices besides paying them good dividend! The stock market is solely driven by "sentiment", and nothing drives a positive sentiment up than knowing you have invested in a cut-throat technically sound market bull.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks for that answer. The phrase you used "cut-throat technically sound market bull" is quite self-explanatory. 😁

The relation between a company's R&D and the stock prices has been discussed by Business Insider very well through this chart -

[​IMG]

So, the conclusion is that the companies with strong R&D spending will also see the best stock returns.

As you rightly pointed out, a company investing in R&D reflects that it committed to stay ahead in an ever-evolving competitive landscape.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Even though the folks at Facebook’s Oculus VR are still working out the kinks associated with the public launch of their maiden virtual reality headset, it did not prevent them...
do help me asap to upload pdf for eligibility certificate & community certificate
A few days ago during the Flipkart Big Billion Sale fiasco I came across an article on this blog that highlighted the fact that some companies are not choosing to...
The 67-hour countdown for the launch of India's navigation satellite IRNSS 1C began today at the spaceport of Sriharikota. The IRNSS 1C is the third of seven satellites in a...
I just want a guideline as to what topic I should choose for my paper presentation,I am currently pursuing my 3 yr ,and please suggest topics apart from networks and...