CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@asgharali10me25 • 12 Oct, 2011
Can a mechanical engineering expert explain how a nozzle works?
@zaveri • 19 May, 2012 A nozzle is a device used for accelerating the fluid flow at the expense of the fluid pressure. it is basically a tapering tube, with the outlet diameter lesser than the inlet diameter. due this reduction in cross sectional area , the fluid experiences a pressure drop as it exits from the other end of the nozzle, but its flow velocity increases considerably.

there is however another device called the diffuser which is exactly the opposite of nozzle. it increases fluid pressure and deccelerates the flow.
@Nauman Khan • 19 May, 2012
zaveri
A nozzle is a device used for accelerating the fluid flow at the expense of the fluid pressure. it is basically a tapering tube, with the outlet diameter lesser than the inlet diameter. due this reduction in cross sectional area , the fluid experiences a pressure drop as it exits from the other end of the nozzle, but its flow velocity increases considerably.

there is however another device called the diffuser which is exactly the opposite of nozzle. it increases fluid pressure and deccelerates the flow.
How the speed varies in a convergent divergent nozzle
And also its pressure variation in a CD nozzle.
@zaveri • 21 May, 2012 nauman khan

the convergent divergent nozzle has 3 distinct sections, the entry, throat section and the exit.

at the entry , air velocity with mach number less than 1 enters, and as it flows through the throat section, the mach number becomes 1, (velocity increases). then it flows through the divergent portion of the nozzle and at its exit the mach number becomes greater than 1 (supersonic velocity is achieved).
@Nauman Khan • 21 May, 2012 😳
7.2k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Oct 25, 2015

I'm wondering if there's any service provider, payment gateway in India that allows you to make payments from your current mobile balance. For example, if I'm buying something that costs...
11.6k views

@Anoop Kumar · Jan 21, 2016

Honda has finally arrived with Hornet in Sporty+Commuter segment to fight with FZ and Gixxer. Honda is already proved itself a giant in two wheeler market, with three product Unicorn,...
28.2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Mar 14, 2014

Soft robotics is taking a plunge deep down in the water with MIT's new research work - in a good way though. A team of researchers from MIT - including...
5.2k views

@Manashree Thokal · Jul 15, 2012

The idea is to design an online application used for reservation of tickets sitting on a computer. Abstract: The project is to develop an application that can reserve tickets for...
3.6k views

@Rising star · Mar 11, 2014

Hi...I m from CS discipline n i want to about the exam conducted by BARC...n which technical subjects should i concentrate more to get shortlisted?
7.5k views