CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@asgharali10me25 • 12 Oct, 2011
Can a mechanical engineering expert explain how a nozzle works?
@zaveri • 19 May, 2012 A nozzle is a device used for accelerating the fluid flow at the expense of the fluid pressure. it is basically a tapering tube, with the outlet diameter lesser than the inlet diameter. due this reduction in cross sectional area , the fluid experiences a pressure drop as it exits from the other end of the nozzle, but its flow velocity increases considerably.

there is however another device called the diffuser which is exactly the opposite of nozzle. it increases fluid pressure and deccelerates the flow.
@Nauman Khan • 19 May, 2012
zaveri
A nozzle is a device used for accelerating the fluid flow at the expense of the fluid pressure. it is basically a tapering tube, with the outlet diameter lesser than the inlet diameter. due this reduction in cross sectional area , the fluid experiences a pressure drop as it exits from the other end of the nozzle, but its flow velocity increases considerably.

there is however another device called the diffuser which is exactly the opposite of nozzle. it increases fluid pressure and deccelerates the flow.
How the speed varies in a convergent divergent nozzle
And also its pressure variation in a CD nozzle.
@zaveri • 21 May, 2012 nauman khan

the convergent divergent nozzle has 3 distinct sections, the entry, throat section and the exit.

at the entry , air velocity with mach number less than 1 enters, and as it flows through the throat section, the mach number becomes 1, (velocity increases). then it flows through the divergent portion of the nozzle and at its exit the mach number becomes greater than 1 (supersonic velocity is achieved).
@Nauman Khan • 21 May, 2012 😳
4.2k views

Related Posts

@samaira · Jul 12, 2009

How to write a program in c to find a substring? (without using library functions) ?
10.7k views

@Sanyam Khurana · May 10, 2013

Can someone explain what are the advantages of Norton's theorem over Thevenin's theorem? I studied both Thevenin and Norton's theorem to reduce a complex network, and I know that Norton...
9.1k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jun 20, 2009

Most of you have had a job offer when you graduated. Or those who are studying, will have multiple rounds of campus interviews. Working for a startup or MNC has...
1.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Sep 2, 2011

I heard the campus placement procedure is as follows: 1. Test 2. Technical Interview 3. HR Interview No GD Round. (Please confirm this.) The test consists of following sections: 1....
3.4k views

@ramachandra · Jan 11, 2010

Can you suggest me a good name for the magazine of an engineering college? The college is celebrating silver jubilee and releasing a magazine on this occasion. sanskrit names are...
4.2k views