How do you address the audience before a seminar?

Ok, I have been in a few seminars in college 5 to be all and many in school
In school I had to do what teachers said but in college I think addressing audience should not be with a very common line.

In school we used to say

"Respected Judges, Teachers and my dear friends. I am Kashish Malhotra and I am here to...."

and belive me 99% students carry this throughout their lives, at least in my batch

but I have been told many time in college to speak this but I never do now, doesnt this same odd line feels very unprofessional and kiddy??

When I got to stage now, I would just walk up to mike and say

"Good Afternoon everyone. I am Kashish Malhotra and I am here to...."

That's all I say point to point and no extra useless stuff.

Now the reason I posted this topic, is that I want your opinion on if I am correct and even if not then how would you compare these lines.

Thank You.

and I am really sorry if its not supposed to be here. It was about seminars therefore I posted it here. πŸ˜€

Replies

• Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    I voted for the second option, the first looks like a try hard comment even when though it's polite. Your introduction should sell you, keep it honest, simple and concise. =)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't practice opening lines. Just start with whatever that comes to your mind after seeing the audience.

Moving the thread to General General Help section.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    On the same lines what biggi is saying.

Do not utter your first few lines for any presentation. See the audience and at the same moment decide how you need to greet and start.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Referring to audience its not very tuff in any of the presentation we give , the content is important in presentation not the intro lines.

Any thing you say doesnt matter but the confidence in your words , your voice matters .
  • Differential
    Differential
    I vote for second one. But depending upon audience it may need a change. eg. If you don't know audiance, some people might consider it is unappropriate to address them as friends. If you know audince very well, they might not need your introduction. Just good morning would be enough in this case.

What do you say?
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    The_Big_K
    Don't practice opening lines. Just start with whatever that comes to your mind after seeing the audience.

Moving the thread to General General Help section.
    Thats like me 😁

all you guys think exactly like me

I agree with all of you since we all have same thoughts :hehehe:
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Just a "Hello" and a smile while looking at everyone would be sufficient.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    raj87verma88
    Just a "Hello" and a smile while looking at everyone would be sufficient.
    Lol I guess that will be for famous people 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *gets up on the stage*

Wazaaaap people in the house! Put ya hands up, put ya hands up! Yea!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    *gets up on the stage*

ROFL ! This was too cool, audience is going to rock. Yo !
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Thats nice Ash. I will change it a bit:
    Waaazzzaaaaaaaappppp. Yo son', Holla. Introducing Kashish featuring the bling in' fish. K people, check this out,......start your speech here.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is like introduction to a rock show not a project seminar πŸ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice one patty!

@ ES
    Lol, who knows.. you might get bonus marks for a creative intro πŸ˜‰

With regards to addressing the audience, it help to set a light mood from the beginning. Not cracking a silly joke, but mention something humorous. The key is sounding genuine and not generic πŸ˜‰
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Mentioning something humorous is fine if done during the speech. A funny anecdote related to the topic. In the beginning a humorous comment or one liner (and it should be according to the situation). Also a lot depends on the kind of speech.
    For example you cannot start a eulogy on a humorous note though it can be used to lighten the atmosphere in the middle. Similarly in the case of a speech or debate competition. Some judges think that you are not serious and you may lose points.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Agreed.. and some of the "humour" I see in debates are more to sarcastic counters rather than to lighten the mood itself. So what do you think specifically about seminars?

Personally, a lot of seminars I've sat through done by students start of quite dull. I just sort of switch off and not focus on their presentation (and I sleep when they start reading directly from the slides). At least with someone starting off with something interesting, it'll keep my attention up. Even if not everybody hears the joke/comment, other audience's laughter will only make one more curious and listen more sharply.

I'm sure even judges wouldnt mind a chuckle or two just to get loosened up. Your seriousness can be shown in your technical content. Worked with my presentations, at least πŸ˜›
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ash
    *gets up on the stage*

raj87verma88
    Thats nice Ash. I will change it a bit:
    Waaazzzaaaaaaaappppp. Yo son', Holla. Introducing Kashish featuring the bling in' fish. K people, check this out,......start your speech here.

These are the most awesome starts I could ever imagine 😁😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like an old discussion is still popular and being searched. Every seminar will demand its own opening lines.

The generic lines would start with greetings to everyone. However, if you wish to make a difference, you may start narrating a story (short one, but effective), conclude the story so that it leads to the topic of your seminar. At this time, you greet everyone and start your seminar.

If this looks complicated; stick to the regular introductory lines.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# if he could share some insights on this. Please be as detailed and elaborate as you can. Requesting everyone to share their sample answers.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Some tips I found worth sharing:
    1. Keep your introduction under 30 seconds.
    2.Only focus on the highlights.
    3. Identify the kind of seminar it is and go about the introdution in coherence to that. Say it is a project presentation, highlight the skills you have in your introduction. If it's a job related seminar, summarize the introduction with the 3-4 major points your presentation will cover.

I have voted for the second option in the poll. I believe it's important to not be too-formal. Keep it real. Don't make it look pretentious. That's how you make a good first impression.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OK friends I am gonna face the end of college on 23rd which is the date of my last exam I am looking for a job for a few years...
Help Me Making a coil with AC voltage and 1GHz freq possible???? I am having a wild idea for creating a new energy source but well I am still pretty...
heya friends I have been here from a pretty long time but never introduced myself:shifty: Its Kashish Malhotra I am 18 years old. I am an Electrical Engineering Student(final year...
​ Linux just gets sexier and sexier, and Fedora 11 just joined Ubuntu 9.04 in the ranks of super modern Linux distros released this year. Fedora doesn't have all the...
Forgetting your Windows administrator login password. With no way to get into the system, you can’t even perform basic maintenance, let alone a thorough tune-up. Formatting is always an option,...