How do I find mentors ?

Hi there,

I have an idea that some company is interested in...
And I think I have developed the product quite well but I need somebody who could finally check everything I have done and guide if anything's wrong because I still have something's that I could change then I could get different results...

I am an engineering student & my college seniors and teachers have least respect for things like this...So I don't stand a chance to get a helping hand from their...

So can you guys tell me how do I find mentor for my product?

Thank you.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    O_o
    Hi there,

I have an idea that some company is interested in...
    And I think I have developed the product quite well but I need somebody who could finally check everything I have done and guide if anything's wrong because I still have something's that I could change then I could get different results...

I am an engineering student & my college seniors and teachers have least respect for things like this...So I don't stand a chance to get a helping hand from their...

So can you guys tell me how do I find mentor for my product?

Thank you.
    I see that your location is INDIA. You should approach the local TiE chapter or any entrepreneurship cell.

Alternatively, you can work out a business plan and present your idea/prototype to the VCs. If they like your idea; they'll mentor you for a share in your company.

If you have local entrepreneurship cells - it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with them.
  • O_o
    O_o
    Okay..
    -->I thought bplan wouldn't be invited as there is no any competition/event to submit in.
    -->Sorry, but whats VCs ? ( pardon my stupidity )

thanks
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Companies are always on the lookout for talent, and great ideas. If your idea is worth something, chances are that the person you speak to (someone in R&D maybe) might make a case of it on your behalf to the higher ups. If the company thinks that it the product you offer is innovative, competitive and, put bluntly, might help them rake in moolah it is highly likely they will accept your proposal.

(VC = Vice Chairman)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    O_o
    Okay..
    -->I thought bplan wouldn't be invited as there is no any competition/event to submit in.
    -->Sorry, but whats VCs ? ( pardon my stupidity )

thanks
    VCs are 'Venture Capitalists'. If they think your idea is worth investing money in; they'll help you jumpstart a company around your idea or help you find buyers. However, they'll require that you form a company and give them a share. That way, when you sell your company/idea; they'll make lot of money. They'll also provide mentoring, contact & support.

However, if you are completely new to the idea of venture capitalism, I'd recommend that you spend considerable time understanding how they operate. It all depends on what your product/service idea is. Note that it's usually difficult to raise money from VCs - they'll want to see something in action (working!).

You can submit your bplan to VCs through their websites. I'd strongly recommend that you should either contact local TiE chapters or entrepreneurship cells for help. You can get lot of help from them for free or very cheap.
    Maybe you should go building about a team of people you trust and can provide some good/honest feedback to you. If your product is already well done, you might also try approaching the companies, potential buyers directly.

If you think it's easy for companies or anyone to steal your idea, apply for a patent right-away. It'd be a great advantage to be the first applicant for patent. Also, contact a lawyer for advise on how to present business idea to companies so that they won't be able to copy your ideas on their own.

Does this help? 😀
  • O_o
    O_o
    O this surely helps BIG_K...
    thanks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    O_o
    O this surely helps BIG_K...
    thanks.
    You're welcome. Wish you all the best. Keep us updated about your progress. Be an active member here and participate in discussions 😀

We look forward to having you as our active member. [​IMG]
  • O_o
    O_o
    It would; completely; be my pleasure to be a active member where helping each others is the only motive...thank you again.
    (for others, sorry for the posts containing thank-yous only)
  • docel
    docel
    Mentors?
    !!!

IF You found a Mentor, you're stuck with him as a partner.

Mentorship doesnt work in India. You'll always find that the Mentor will ultimately take the credit for your project along with you.

Actually, you're talking about a Consultant, if you have a developed project. And they cost money, irrespective of the fate of your project. They will advise you with procedures, protocol, technical inputs, and implement from concept to conclusion. They don't get any credits nor are they interested. They get hard cash. When the commerce begins, more often than not, YOU will be left back at the doorstep.

A Mentor will teach, guide, give ideas, concepts and the design too. He'll make sure you do the right things in the right direction, at the right time. They may or may not be remunerated, depending on whether it is a part of their job ( usually University Professors ) or not. Almost all the time, the Mentor gets equal credits for the completed project via paper / journal presentations and patent rights. HE is usually left out when the profits come in.

Now......who & what are you looking for??

You can easily find consultants aplenty, but a good, true Mentor.......?

( I may sound dismal and discouraging....but then thats the naked truth; I call myself a consultant, but the consulting call me a Mentor. I'm not sure if I'm good or bad )

Good luck to your ventures 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I ;-)AM HAVING A HARDWARE CONTEST DURING SEPTEMBER. I want to do a hardware involving microcontroller.please suggest a suitable plausible idea for the same as soon as possible.
HERE I ATTACHED THE 2 DIGIT BCD COUNTER TESTBENCH .CAN SOMEONE HELP ME SEE WHETHER GOT ERROR OR NOT ? [B][FONT=Times New Roman]module tb_two_digits_bcd_counter[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]#(parameter REPEAT_TIME = 100)[/FONT]...
anyone have idea where can i get high torque high speed motors? or maybe just high torque. 😕
Hi, I am doing the project of water preheater for a thermal oil heater under my factory. Could anyone kindly share with me how to calculate the heat transfer area...
Hi all, Im looking for a low cost accelorometer or a peizo shock sensor specifically in the form of an IC that can be easily integrated into any a printed...