How could Apple patent Pinch and Zoom?

Apple just sued Samsung for Pinch&zoom, like looking tablet and icons.
My question is how can apple able to patent something which is an idea and shown publicly.
One more thing is like looking tablet of being rectangular and rounded corners which is already shown in Star Trek movies
My question is multi guesture, Pinch&Zoom a and a tablet design idea and have been seen in lots of si-fi movies much before so called APPLE INNOVATION.

Here is proof.
minority-report2

Tablet from Space Odyssey 2001 (1968) movie
(Isn't it looks like iPad without apple logo, remember this movie was released in 1968.)
tabletsTrek

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's how the Patents system works. You've to be the first one to apply with the concept. #-Link-Snipped-# can tell us more about the Patents system. But as far as I know, you don't need a prototype to get the patent. In Apple Vs. Samsung case, it was Apple that applied for the patent first and got it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    That's how the Patents system works. You've to be the first one to apply with the concept. #-Link-Snipped-# can tell us more about the Patents system. But as far as I know, you don't need a prototype to get the patent. In Apple Vs. Samsung case, it was Apple that applied for the patent first and got it.
    That is correct. Novelty is the essence of a patent. The applicant has to give details of prior art. Then describe the novelty (novelties) of his invention. This is subjected to verification. The patent is issued only when the novelties pass muster. In one application if many novelties are claimed, only those that pass the audit are allowed.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    @ The_big_K: Thanks for correcting subject line.

I agree that innovative ideas can be patented and could be without prototype(The same thing recently Google did with its latest patent #-Link-Snipped-#).
    Do you think it is correct to provide patent to such thing like pinch&zoom which is already shown by some one else earlier?
    In movie it was an idea and that actor is using a touch screen also. and the same thing is patented by apple.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is up to the patent office if it considers something novel or prior art.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"MindBend 2012" is a 4-day annual technical fest organized by SVNIT, Surat, Gujarat, from 10th to 13th October, 2012. There will be guest lectures, tech quiz's, tech expo, robotics workshop....
As we know Apple won patent infringement case over Samsung, and Smartphone World is surely going to change in recent time. The manufacturing of Samsung S3, Ace series, I9100 &...
"Shodha 2k12" is a National Level Technical Fest organized by Department of Mechanical Engineering of Sree Chaitanya College of Engineering, Karimnagar, Andhra Pradesh on 21st & 22nd September, 2012. Last...
give some suggestions for naming symposium and events names
"Sakshama 2012" is a annual National Level Technical Fest organized by School of Mechanical Engineering, Sastra University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu on 28th & 29th September, 2012. Events: Aqua-Missile(water rocketry) Boat...