How can Engineers change the world?

As conscientious human beings, we have all often wondered (at least at some point of time) in our lives, does what we really do day-in and day-out make a difference to the world? I was recently gripped with a reflection on similar lines, when this question came to my mind. How can engineers change the world? or have they already changed the world as-know-it?

With technology to its aid, Engineering has literally shaped and molded our present world to what it is. If we step aside from the narrow-small understanding of Engineering as defined by mere degrees, there is really a great big world of awesome engineering marvels waiting to greet us. The platform on which am writing these words, stands testimony to it, since not long ago #-Link-Snipped-# had quoted these very lines of welcome to me- 'We here believe in the engineering spirit and have the motto that engineering is about the attitude, not the degree'.

I think, Innovation and the spirit of Engineering go hand-in-hand and at the intersection of the two 'change' happens. To take a leaf out of the achievements of the past, the pacemakers, scans, ultrasounds and other hi-tech gadgetry of medical field would not have existed had the engineers not been there. The likes of LIGO setup would not have been possible and humanity would have only 'dreamt' of leaving its footprints on distant celestial bodies, had it not been for engineering. The ubiquitous computers, smartphones, artificial intelligence, industrialisation even, have all been brought to life by engineering. So if all of this is any indication, the question of 'Can' gets negated automatically and only that of 'how engineering changes the world' remains.

I think,some of the future advances that would revolutionize the world would come from the fields of Automotive, Computer and Biotechnology engineering. The Nanoscale devices (carbon nanotube transistors), advancements in Prosthetics, Quantum Computing and Electrochemical Energy Technology are just some of the examples of engineering changing the face of the world.

A change where it effectively meets the need would, I think, truly herald a new future for all of the humanity. And we sure have a winner here in Engineering.
So What do you folks think on the subject? Would love to hear from you all too😀

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Some of this is semantics.
    Who is an engineer?
    Faraday was not. Nor Newton, Einstein or scores of others. The Neanderthal man, who invented controlled fire wasn’t either. Weapons and wheel were not invented by engineers.
    I am proud to call myself an engineer. Yet it is just the evolved (and still evolving) human mind that seems to be the engine of change.
  • Amol Agarwal
    Amol Agarwal
    The question should be 'how do engineers change the world'. If you are reading this on a computer or a mobile and not amazed, then you do not appreciate the role of engineering. Just look around you and you will find everything a miracle of engineering. Engineering is essentially the practical application of science for the use of betterment of our lives. Engineering teaches you to make tradeoffs to arrive at results according to the available resources.
    Technology of today is no less than a miracle. Did you know that the TV DTH dish on our roofs receive only 10^-10 W signal power from a satellite that is 36000 kms above Earth and we still get a crystal clear picture on our televisions. Don't you think it is a miracle? You send a whatsapp message to a friend in another part of the world and it reaches instantly without any errors.
    It is unfortunate that we do not appreciate the technology. Let me tell you that it is no childs play. This level of accuracy and reliability is the result of years and years of research and development. Unfortunately, India is producing sub quality engineering graduates each year.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Engineers can change the world for better, as they have been doing so for years. Every engineer does this, you do not have to be in the top to make a difference you can make a difference at the lowest level. When a fresh engineering graduate starts off as a developer in even a small firm, he/she is committed in bringing a change to the society through his/her work. When he/she writes a piece of code, he/she always keeps in mind how the code will work and how efficient the code can be written so as to do the task faster and easier. Same goes for every other engineer from every other branch. He/she can make a difference no matter what the task it at hand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OnePlus is known to have some really innovative launch events for its smartphones. India has been one of its primary markets and it knows how to build up hype. Last...
Tech-giant Apple ventured into the market of full screen display smartphones with its recent launch of iPhone X. This smartphone comes with a 5.8 inch OLED display covering the whole...
Diesel cars have recently become subject to considerable negative publicity thanks to the amount of toxic emissions they produce. Some governments are planning to discourage their use or even ban...
Quote: Ever wondered why history’s great minds including Isaac Newton, Abraham Lincoln, Andy Warhol, Leonardo Da Vinci, Marcus Aurelius, Charles Darwin, Winston Churchill, Benjamin Franklin, Ernest Hemingway, George Bernard Shaw...
Civil Engineering is one of the oldest professional engineering disciplines which deals with the planning, designing, supervising construction and then maintenance of infrastructure facilities, essential for our modern life. Civil...