How broadband is implemented over telephone line?

In broadband if signal propagation is unidirectional then how it is implemented over the telephone line having only 2 wires?

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Well, I am not sure but I think signal propagation is bidirectional in an internet connection.
  • Rãjay
    Rãjay
    Hello "SheldonCooper", the broadband connection is named broadband because it has a "broad" bandwidth and hence more data can be transmitted. Many signals can propagate if there is more bandwidth. So, it isn't unidirectional. Basically, the digital data is sent over high frequencies over the same telephone line which then gets filtered out at the customer end. As the telephone data is carried over lower frequencies & the broadband over high, it's an easy task.
    So I think this should answer your question.
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    Rãjay
    Hello "SheldonCooper", the broadband connection is named broadband because it has a "broad" bandwidth and hence more data can be transmitted. Many signals can propagate if there is more bandwidth. So, it isn't unidirectional. Basically, the digital data is sent over high frequencies over the same telephone line which then gets filtered out at the customer end. As the telephone data is carried over lower frequencies & the broadband over high, it's an easy task.
    Explain me the meaning of the following sentence from CN notes from IIT kgp.
    "In broadband signaling, signal propagates only in one direction, in contrast to propagation in both directions in baseband signaling. Broadband cabling uses either dual-cable scheme or single-cable scheme with a headend to facilitate flow of signal in one direction" . The sentence is in the point "Baseband coaxial cable" point as well as "broadband coaxial cable" point.Now tell me what is dual cable? The one we use in telephone has 2 threads (+,-)so it is single cable right? Then dual cable means 4 threads right? And what is headend and how it works?
    I checked in reference books and internet but haven't got my answer still. No one is denying it but no one is telling it clearly.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Rãjay
    My friend if you are to send digital data you can't use serial data transmission tactics as they are really losy and cause a lot of distortion to the siganl message

So we generally go for parallel transmission as then only recovery of data is easier in the reception end

Am I not right otherwise do correct me

And the question in concern I think a Voltage varied pulse form of signal is sent in through the cable having the two cores the pulse are then demodulated to get the required Digital ip which is understood by the computer
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    Dear #-Link-Snipped-#. Your answer is 80% gone above my head. Can you explain in more detail without too much electronics jargon so that it will come in my band of understanding?😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sorry beating to much about the bush

Here is my point in precise

To represent a single dot in digital format minimum of 8 bits are required in real practise am I not right

Next this has to be transmitted right

If the data is sent serially there is higher chance of data lagging to occur due to environmental factors ( only 1 bit is sent at a time in serial connection )

This can prevent the continuous flow of data to the receiver causing errors so we must send the data parallelly causing a need for more transmitters and receivers

So generally this is not preferred for longer distance but only for shorter distance

This hinders digital transmission to a wider range causing a need for analog data transmission which is sent through the the Live wire in the telephone whereas the other wire is a neutral return path to the station closing the circuit.
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    jeffrey samuel
    Sorry beating to much about the bush

Here is my point in precise

To represent a single dot in digital format minimum of 8 bits are required in real practise am I not right

Next this has to be transmitted right

If the data is sent serially there is higher chance of data lagging to occur due to environmental factors ( only 1 bit is sent at a time in serial connection )

This can prevent the continuous flow of data to the receiver causing errors so we must send the data parallelly causing a need for more transmitters and receivers

So generally this is not preferred for longer distance but only for shorter distance

This hinders digital transmission to a wider range causing a need for analog data transmission which is sent through the the Live wire in the telephone whereas the other wire is a neutral return path to the station closing the circuit.
    Ok. This cleared point of Serial Transmission and Parallel Transmission and why parallel is used here. Now tell me how a single wire can support full duplex mode at a same time? Consider data is flowing from A to B through the telephone line mentioned above. Now my point is how the same line carry data from B to A at the same time? I am not keen in basics so please explain me with lowest level as you explained in your above reply.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    simple reason friend 1 spot is represented by more than 16 bits and so we need parallel transmission

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir/mam please help me out i m facing problem regarding it and have to submit project within 2 days so please thank u in advance.....
hi all i just cam across this wonderful website: https://www.coursera.org/course/bioelectricity it is free and useful
Hey guys what is the common power op ratings of solar panels available in the market now Really interested in this topic hope to see some enthusiasts in this field...
Can anyone give the link to download e -book I need link for computer system architecture by morris mano and also for java primer by E Balaguruswamy and data communication...
Not only here but in different forums I find this really awesome requests What is the role of ****** configuration amplifiers ? So here is a list of amplifiers I...