Home networking: Wired Network Or Wi-Fi? Why?

I'm looking for an opinion on setting up a home network to connect computers and networking enabled devices. If the locations of the gadgets are fixed - would you recommend a wired network or wi-fi?

The only advantage of Wireless network I see is that it offers mobility. But if mobility isn't an issue (connected machines will mostly be desktops and laptops that would be operated on a desk, gaming machines (PS3) connected to a TV etc.) would you still recommend a Wireless Connection?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you're planning to networking your gadgets with FOCs then I won't recommend you,as too many bends will result in data-loss.
    If you're using simple cables then I will recommend wired over wifi, because of security & less bandwidth loss.
    But if you have FTTH plan(I assume so) then go for wifi, just take care of security.Using backtrack hacking wifi is simple as knifing butter.

Don't tell me you're gonna use FOCs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's a big thick line that's FTTH which ends in the ONT device. From there all I have is RJ-45 cables and a router to make everything Wi-Fi. I know backtrack can crack the Wi-Fi passwords; but other than that, I believe Wired Connections are more desirable. One immediate disadvantage on laptops is that wireless modules drain out batteries like water flowing from an open tap.

I think I'll start another thread to discuss wireless security 😀
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    There's a big thick line that's FTTH which ends in the ONT device. From there all I have is RJ-45 cables and a router to make everything Wi-Fi. I know backtrack can crack the Wi-Fi passwords; but other than that, I believe Wired Connections are more desirable. One immediate disadvantage on laptops is that wireless modules drain out batteries like water flowing from an open tap.

I think I'll start another thread to discuss wireless security 😀
    I dont think if you have FTTH you need to have ofcs all over home. Once the signal is recieved by the ofc reciever, you can just use a plan router with copper wire network aka CAT cables.

For wifi, just use wpa psk 2 with alpha-numeric + symbolic pass which is not a word in dictionary. Other than that, the best thing is, add mac filtering in your router. But still your router admin pass must be very secure and must follow the above criteria.

You can for sure crack wep by sniffing packets and decrypting them but cracking wpa can be done only with bruteforcing so the ease of crack just depends on how secure your password is.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is it just the bruteforce that's used by backtrack? So if that's the case - a strong password should be difficult to crack, right?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    Is it just the bruteforce that's used by backtrack? So if that's the case - a strong password should be difficult to crack, right?
    For wpa yes, its bruteforcing only. For wep, you can have garaunteed results. Backtrack is nothing but the collection of all security tools. They didnt invented anything on their own.

It just have aircrack ng + JTR for cracking. Available for windows too. Aircrack just collects the data while JTR is used to bruteforce.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's very interesting! I think we can continue the discussion on WPA vs. WEP from the cracking perspective here -> #-Link-Snipped-# .

Apart from the security related points, are there any other points in favor of the wired networks?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Haha ... Backtrack is Linux based OS.Backtrack is "nothing" but collection of hacker tools...I laughed at this sentence,No offence.Linux was never about readymade stuffs,BT just provides Opensource softwares for penetration rest is ALL YOUR JOB.
    Linux never spoonfeds their users.
    PS : It's Linux, you know how to disintegrate your stuff by bits, know how to modify kernel & world is yours.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    That's very interesting! I think we can continue the discussion on WPA vs. WEP from the cracking perspective here -> #-Link-Snipped-# .

Apart from the security related points, are there any other points in favor of the wired networks?
    Loss and signal latency is much lesser in wired connection means reliable connections.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Troll_So_Hard
    Haha ... Backtrack is Linux based OS.Backtrack is "nothing" but collection of hacker tools...I laughed at this sentence,No offence.Linux was never about readymade stuffs,BT just provides Opensource softwares for penetration rest is ALL YOUR JOB.
    Linux never spoonfeds their users.
    PS : It's Linux, you know how to disintegrate your stuff by bits, know how to modify kernel & world is yours.
    Dude, do you really think I am some random ass noob talking shits I dont know? Do I explicitly need to say its an OS and have a collection of softwares? When I am talking about cracking and shit, its pretty obvious I know thats why I came forward to even reply. Whats wrong if I say its a collection of tools? Do you seriously thought I assume BT to be some AIO type of software? Some of your posts are really offending where you just assume yourselves to know everything while rest of the world dont kknow a shit.

I am associated with blackhat world more than you can think.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    My posts are offending ? well sometime it is - I agree & I apologize to to whomever I hurted.
    Do you think I think that I am better than everyone? hell no!
    Do you think I offended you? Think again.
    If you think that yeah I offended you then Fuck you too !

Seriously I've attitude problem.
    Ban me! Sue me!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Is it also easy to break when SSID is not broadcasting.
    As a security there is one more feature of "Allowing only granted list of mac addresses" may be applied to reduce risk.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We're talking about home wireless router security for your regular wi-fi connections. The Linksys routers provide following security modes: WEP, WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise, or RADIUS and I see that...
what is the meaning of the high level input or output handling function
hello! when i compare this type of RAM, there is DDR SDRAM and SDR DRAM all come from upgraded of DRAM. what specific feature added to ddr sdram. help me...
Technology Robotix Society is proud to present ROBOTIX 2013, its annual technological extravaganza,to be held during 1 – 4 February,2013 as a part of Kshitij, the annual Techno-Management Fest of...
This is one of the best videos I have ever come across, magnificently done.