Hi Everyone

I'm not an engineer and have no desire to reach any advanced level of Metallurgy, but I do work for a company that blends scrap stainless for manufacturing companies. The position I'm in really limits my ability to learn about metal chemistries. I know the basics of only the metals we deal with, but would like to gain more advanced knowledge of them and the hows and whys of what metals can be blended together to make certain types of stainless.

The easiest and probably quickest way to do this would be to go to school for Metallurgy; however, time and financial restraints limit my opportunities for schooling at the moment. I feel that if I could get my hands on some good books that I could obtain the knowledge I desire in a reasonable amount of time. As I stated earlier, I in no way wish to obtain the level of knowledge of a metallurgist. I only wish to obtain a more specific knowledge of the metals and chemistries that we work with on a regular basis; 201, 301, 316, 410, 430, 440 stainless steels. I would also like to know, some what in depth, how nickel, manganese and moly effect the blends separately. I would also like to gain knowledge on why sulfer, tin, copper, and lead contaminate stainless steel.

My main goal in the search is to find literature that will help me learn how to blend different stainless steel scrap metals to create other stainless steel metals. If anyone can help me with suggestions of any type of book that can be obtained at a local library please post.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    That was an awesome introduction Mike!!!!
    Welcome to CE!!!!:welcome:
    We're happy that you are here on CE😀
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    welcome here seeves.. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Welcome to CE.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    :welcome:
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    :welcome: Welcome to CE, Mike!!!

This is an awesome intro... Happy to have you here... 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i think due to brittleness property of glass it is less elastic. suggest me the right
Hi All! Now, please explain to me the logic behind it.. all OS and memory stuff? why a system freezes and hangs and why sometimes all tricks fail and you...
Please help in the interpretation of a line from GALVIN: "A system may obscure the directory's existing files until the file system is unmounted, terminating the use of the file...
Hi everyone I m Btech ECE student graduating in 2011. I have admit from UTA for MS computer Engg. in Fall 2011 (Gre-1100, Toefl-95) And also I am placed in...
Is there any good institute for MS in india after btech... Everyone prefer gre and do it from abroad..😒