HI CEans here a simple question for you people.....

The average mark obtained by 120 candidates was 35.If the average mark of passed candidates was 39 and that of the failed candidates was 15,
how many candidates passed the examination?๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    By the given conditions we can have 2 equations.
    x + y = 120
    39x + 15y = 120 * 35
    On solving these equations we get x = 100 and y = 20

So candidates passed = 100
    failed = 20
  • bharathkumarp
    bharathkumarp
    hi Mr.English scared your brilliant, by taking the equation and solving....But it consume more time.. There is another way to answer, just think. with out paper work you can easily solve this........
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The total number of candidates will be divided in ratio 5:1 [pass:fail], which makes it 100:20, that means 100 passed and 20 failed.
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    given total number of passed students are =120
    let the number of pass students=x
    and let the number of fail students is=y
    so from the questions
    the equations will be
    x+y=120 .............(1)
    total number of marks get by all the students=120*35
    =4200
    now the second equation will be
    39x + 15y= 4200.........(2)
    putting the value of x in equation (2) from the first equation ie. x=120-y
    39(120-y)+15y=4200
    4680-39y+15y=4200
    24y=480
    y=20
    by solving it we will get
    y=20
    x=100
    so the number of passed students =100
    sp the number of failed students =20

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hii guys..aim alvin doin my engg. from rajasthan.....our summer training peroid is starting from 12th may...and im a bit confused between doing d training from a company or doing it...
hiii iam 3rd year mechanical student...i need help in mini project..can u tell me which project is good to do project either production or design or r&ac...can u tell me...
Q 1: What are 10Base2, 10Base5 and 10BaseT Ethernet LANs ? Q 2:What is the difference between an unspecified passive open and a fully specified passive open? ๐Ÿ˜ Study as...
hello respected moderators "yesterday I create a thread for posting the updates of T-20 cricket world cup 2010" in the hobby center section can I also post updates over there...
hello to all members, i have a lead acid battery of 4 volt and .8ah rating i use it to glow led light in case of emergency i want to...