help with computer science GATE preparation

I'm currently in my 4th semester and i want to appear for GATE after I complete my engineering. I want to prepare from now bcoz it's always good to be prepared prior to everyone.
but i dont have anyone who could help me so i want to know how&when do i start, what books i read, etc. I want to know everything to succeed.
PREFERABLY THE ONE'S WHO ALREADY CLEARED GATE REPLY TO THIS THREAD. Otherwise if a novice want to help me .. I'm fine with it also.😀

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    Read the GATE Syllabus for computer science.List out the subjects and start studying the text books first.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    Reya
    Read the GATE Syllabus for computer science.List out the subjects and start studying the text books first.
    yeah I got my syllabus.. Do I require tuition for proper guidance?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    surbhi bakshi
    yeah I got my syllabus.. Do I require tuition for proper guidance?
    Well tution or no tution is not to worry much. Now you are in your 4th sem, so you have to deal with 4th sem subjects as well. You are planning to give GATE after engineering(considering 8 semester course) so atleast 2 more years to go. In that you have to get good marks or atleast the threshold where in you can get into IITs or other institute you prefer. So I don't really think you should bother about GATE coaching much.

Saying above,you can prepare for GATE by your own. Study your current subjects to a depth. Refer reference books, in case you are studing for subject X, then I would suggest to go for a reference book on X. Gain a good foundation. 15 days before you sem exam, you refer to local publication, it will help to score marks.

Basic idea of your preparation should be gaining good foundation.

In case of some doubt, post it here, fellow CEans would be glad to help you out.
    Take care.
  • Suresh Manickam
    Suresh Manickam
    This is the right time to prepare, but don't dumb too much now itself. learn the concepts well that you have in syllabus till 4th semester.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Just concentrate on the subjects they are teaching you in college. The syllabus consists of the subjects you study in graduation, so study them hard and follow standard books. That would be enough.
  • Suresh Manickam
    Suresh Manickam
    yes, that will do.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    oh thank you all.. 😀
    if further doubts i'll surely ask for help.
    if possible please someone provide me with name of one of the best books for programming languages.
    Provide name of those books which concentrate more on PRACTICAL USAGE of language!
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    surbhi bakshi
    oh thank you all.. 😀
    if further doubts i'll surely ask for help.
    if possible please someone provide me with name of one of the best books for programming languages.
    Provide name of those books which concentrate more on PRACTICAL USAGE of language!
    I am unaware of your programing skills, so assuming that you are a newbie(no offense intended). As of now, dont think too much on practical implementation, focus on logic and fundamentals. Also donot judge languages, I have seen many of my friends saying that Java is better than C++ or php is easier than jsp and stuff like that. Its true or false, is a question of debate. But bottom line is it shouldnt matter a newbie at all.

Generally I would prefer you to study any language, which deals with OOP and focus more on OOP concepts as these concepts are used practically. Once you develop coding skills,which might require dedicated efforts anywhere near a month to six months, Then try to build up something on your own which you want to. Use the language as tool to develop whatever you want to. I wanted to program board games, I found Java as my tool. I studied the core concepts of Java for about year, focussing on logic and other stuff, as a result, I take less time to debug my programs. Find your language(C# is considered to be good for newbie programmers). Once you are through with it, build a simple software which you want to, then try to increase its complexity and add features to it.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    simplycoder
    I am unaware of your programing skills, so assuming that you are a newbie(no offense intended). As of now, dont think too much on practical implementation, focus on logic and fundamentals. Also donot judge languages, I have seen many of my friends saying that Java is better than C++ or php is easier than jsp and stuff like that. Its true or false, is a question of debate. But bottom line is it shouldnt matter a newbie at all.

Generally I would prefer you to study any language, which deals with OOP and focus more on OOP concepts as these concepts are used practically. Once you develop coding skills,which might require dedicated efforts anywhere near a month to six months, Then try to build up something on your own which you want to. Use the language as tool to develop whatever you want to. I wanted to program board games, I found Java as my tool. I studied the core concepts of Java for about year, focussing on logic and other stuff, as a result, I take less time to debug my programs. Find your language(C# is considered to be good for newbie programmers). Once you are through with it, build a simple software which you want to, then try to increase its complexity and add features to it.
    I'm good or say fine at logic and fundamental of C and C++ and i want to know practical implementation of them.. like right now 'm studying C for UNIX..after that i'll start graphics. but my book doesn't deal properly with this topics. So suggest proper books & what after graphics and UNIX?
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    I'm interested in web designing most, suggest books that deals with languages like php , javascript etc.

and also proper books for JAVA!
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    1. PHP : PHP and MySQL (Wrox publication)
    2. I have never referred any book for js as there are plenty of online resources to get started. Once you get the basic knowledge, try out jQuery. I would recommend #-Link-Snipped-#
    3. Java I can think of 3 books, if you are serious then refer atleast two of them 1)Complete reference Java(H.Schildt (classic touch)),The Black Book(Steven Holzner(really good book)),Thinking in Java(Bruce Eckel(Cool book.))

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Tata Nano starter motors are being replaced by the company free of cost. The company claims that the whole replacement activity is done proactively to offer improved Nano performance to...
I'm wondering whether we can compile a list of places where you have a high chance of meeting your startup co-founder. I believe the best place is your college where...
Do we have CEans here who've made a switch from Microsoft Windows to to Apple OSX? If yes, how's your experience of switching the operating system: - learning curve, ease...
1. Video Watermarking 2. Shopping Cart development using Message Gateway integration 3. Client system Monitoring via Mobile based Message integration 4. X-Ray Annotation 5. Automated Time Based Application Runner 6....
JAVA GSM Based Projects: 1. GSM Based LAN WATCHER. 2. GSM Based Download Manager. 3. Spynet Using GSM. 4. Traffic Alert System using GSM. 5. GSM based Group Chatting Application....