help: steering and wheel configuration

hi all,

i am having problem to decide what type of steering will be best for my painting system.. i have a painting arm which is fixed and will face the wall. it will move only in the vertical plane (producing the painting motion). the system will be heavy (real size) and i would like to know if differential drive can be used? and what wheel configuration is best for the machine to move along the wall- two powered wheels on eaxh side and 2 castors at the rear and front??

also the system requires to move by a fixed distance, say 1.5 m, along the wall after painting a given area. wat motors are best for such fixed-distance movement and how will it know by how much it has moved?

thank you all,
satanas

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    It would be better if you can describe your system a bit more elaborately , so we can get an idea of what exactly is your set up. But from what I can guess from the given data here is my suggestion.

1. First make sure that the arms work with the same force exerted on the paint brush or rollers to achieve an even application of the paint.
    For this purpose you will have to design the motion of arms linkages kinematically to maintain the same distance from the wall while manouvering the arc from bottom to top ( if this is how you are doing it).

2. If the system is moving vertically you can use a differential drive for the wheels of the platform mounting the painting equipment if you need a equally powered and equal speed wheels at the rear, so that the unit moves straight and smooth with no angular deviations on either sides. But what do you plan to do, are you designing the diferentials yourself or going for some ready made stuff.

3. I am not sure , but I think for the motion you described ( where the unit moves 1.5 m everytime, I think you can use a stepper moor and timing control byt he microcontroller. But you will need some help from the electronics guys or this if you are not proficient with PIC or micocontroller programming. I'm not quite sure confirm it from an electronics chap.
    ( I cant authoratively speak on this, as Im not close to electronics, so contact memeber ASH he's one good guy with all this electronics stuff).

4. As for the steering mechanisms just know your reqired motion of the system and accordingly adopt any on e of the standard steering mechanisms like te Ackermans steering, or any others, keeping in mind the basic concept of design of the steering mechanism you can even design one for yourself to siut your needs in particular.

All said, get in action and all the best for your project. Do update your progress and the project details if possible, it will be nice learning for Ceans.
  • satanas
    satanas
    hi..Rohan_sK.. thx for the tips buddy.. i will surely post my project soon..
    cheerz n thx 4 ur good wishes..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ive been given a mini semester project "Simulate the Ericsson Cycle" in EES. We have to develop an interface for solving problems related to this cycle. I have already made...
im arjun!! n im from hyderabad!! im doin my b.tech graduating right now in final year!!from computer science and my hobbies are surfing and chattin.. i would like to share...
iLabs India in Nagpur is organizing a workshop i.e. a 4-week activity intensive course from hands-on knowledge sessions on Robotics to career oriented project management expert sessions. The workshop is...
So, its out! Sweden and Norway are the first countries in the world to get the latest 4G networks. 4G network offers speeds up to 100 mbps! TeliaSonera says it...
Hi CEans... Hey really sorry...i started asking my queries before introducing myself... let me introduce myself.. NAME:Shamali p. ENGINEERING TRADE:Electronics and telecommunication. HOBBIES AND INTEREST:Google surfing,movies,songs,spending lots of time in...