help needed in sharing policy!!

hello friends,
i am using my notebook over a local area network.
if i share my disk partition, can any one of you explain me how to give selective access to the computers present on the network.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hi Vishal,
    Are you guys on a domain? which OS are you using? hope its not WinXP Home.

If NO is an answer for both the questions, then check the Sharing and Security tabs of file sharing.
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    No, I am not on a domain and im using windows xp professional edition.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    OK, then do the following -
    1. create a user on your local machine, keep a password for him
    2. enable sharing for the folder which you want to share
    3. in the security tab of your sharing and security, give access not to everyone, but to only the user you had created
    4. give the access details to anyone whom you want to share that folder with

that shud do. It works better with domains though. A simpler solution is to use a freeware called as IPMessenger to transfer files and to chat over the same LAN.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Business Software Development is a boon to the corporate world. The tedious tasks have been simplified by the use of Business software applications such as enterprise resource planning, enterprise content...
Hello, I need topics for mini project on ASP.net & C#. ๐Ÿ˜•
CEans, I've been facing a strange problem since yesterday. Google.com / Google.co.in / Gmail.com are not accessible through my BSNL broadband connection. Is it a common problem all around or...
hey there guys....i need some help with the following questions that have been bothering me...done a lot of research but did not find any satisfactory answers so this is my...
CEans, CAT 2007 results are out. How about sharing your scores with all of us? ๐Ÿ˜€