Help me with my woofer...

I had a 5.1 surround system..but recently a high voltage burnt my woofer PCBs. The woofer speaker is gud...i want to do somethnig...

the four channels (front left/right n rear left right) are amplified by individual amplifier..so can be connected to two of the three jacks of my PC.

now i want to add an amplifier for my woofer speaker so that it can be connected directly to the third jack and wud complete the surround..
this amplifier would filter the higher frequencies also...

can anyone help me create n amplifier like that....?
or can anyone here help me create my own simple amplifier?? i will experiment n do something for the frequency...

Replies

• Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Hmmm .. piece of cake.
    question is are you ready for what I am about to throw at you.
    I don't think you gonna find any one better for these kind of things than me, cause this is what I do and what I live for.
    So post back and let's make this thread a project.
    I will provide you the theory and guidance to do what you want.
  • avisekjena
    avisekjena
    yup man....surely ....i was in search of some guidance.....

but there is a problem...my classes are going on and i will be home by 24th. I will actually be working on the PROJECT from 24th. Until that time I am ready to read and know whatever i should know for the project.

looking forward to your reply.

Lets do it man.....
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Hey, I open any time, but remember I will be very disappointed if you give up in the middle. So I'll give you an insight of what to expect from professional audiophile like me.
    But before that tell me your back ground and what you know about audio.
  • avisekjena
    avisekjena
    dont worry buddy...even i dont give up easily.....

i will be completing my 2nd year in Btech in Electrical Engineering on 23rd...what abt u??

as far as audio is concerned....i know only the basics...what is taught...and wht i can knw while designing a 13 speaker(total i hav connectd..actually i dint buy all of them....i just utilized all the old/new small/medium speakers in our house...) surround. This seems to be pretty less..but dont u worry..m ready to read..whtever i need to....

this project may b needing idea on electronics....this is where i may get troubled(i really hated the paper basic electronics..)...but m sure u will b able to help me...
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    hmmmm!!! we have down side, high end audio design concerns electronics.
    basically you should be familiar with power amplifiers, electronic Filters and bulk power supplies.
    Still if u play with amplifiers and stuff then you should have some basic idea on how things work.
    Let's start by telling me on what you have.
    I want all the specs of the amps and speakers, and DSP if you using any like. graphic equalizer and reverb amps and things like that. If you can post pics it would be much better, cause if I see it I can think faster on what would be best for you.
    Then I need to know your room, like where you are playing the music or listening.
    Third what type of source you use, like MP3 or ipod CD's etc.
    give me everything. leave nothing.
  • avisekjena
    avisekjena
    hey buddy....lemme tell u my story.....it began when one of our Combo-Players failed working.. The engineer who attended it said that it failed because moisture short circuited its circuit.That was because it was not used frequently.Now that was when i thought of connecting all the systems together so that all get used at the same time.That was probably when i was in 11th and i designed the circuit without considering any impedances, etc..n luckily it didnot burn out.As far as amplifiers are concerned, i didnot make any. I used the Combo-Players as amplifiers since these players amplify the sound before sending them to thier speaker. You might be wondering how i did that. I fed the input though line in and let the output from normal speaker output.I also bought a woofer INTEX 4000SB.I connected this also.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Check this image for a circuit diagram. Since i am away from home, i wont be able to give you the pictures. Moreover since most of the things r old, they mustnot be having labels on them. When I return home, can i check the impedances and all with multimeter.

Now lemme explain the circuit. My source is my computer that has a 6 channel audio card which splits the audio into Rear Left/Right, Front Left/Right annd Centre/Subwoofer.

That is shown in the diagram. These wires go to the SubWoofer, or rather i should say..to the amplifier of the woofer. From there audio is redistributed.

Front part goes int CP-1(Combo Player - 1) and its output to CP-2. From there it connected to speakers in parallel. Designations "S - X" represents the satellite speakers i got with the woofer and "SpX - Y" represents various category of speakers i collected from my house. FL,FR,RL,RR,C represent Front left, front right, Rear left, Rear right and centre.

Similarly the rear part goes to an amplifier(the amplifier of a very old philips casssette player) and from their to satellites and speakers. Then a separate output for centre channel.

Now, after the high voltage What I want to do??

woofer and CP-1 are not working. So i will put CP1 our of circuit.

The Front,rear and centre wires that used to come from the woofer will now be directly connected to the Computer.

The sub-woofer speaker should have an amplifier before i connect it to the computer. Unlike you assume, I havent made any amplifier till now. I have just connected the CPs to act as amplifiers. That is why I asked in my forst post to help me make an amplifier.

How much should I read about the topics you suggested? Its would be of great help if you send me the appropriate links so that i read and know exactly what you want me to knw....neither more..nor less.

Phew!!!Too long a message for yo to read...but dont lose patience...
  • avisekjena
    avisekjena
    Seems that the link is not working from here. Copy paste the URL and directly enter it in the address bar. That should work. Tell me it doesnt.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    link does not work.
    I could give you a detail explanation of the different types of audio configs if u like and it can also depends on the types of speaker you have. let me know the type you have and I could summarize my lecture to as little as possible.
    And believe me if you could do what I have in mind you would never want to buy another audio system in your life.
  • avisekjena
    avisekjena
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    It just says image hosted by tripod and blank..send the jpeg to my email

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

From the first day of evolving roads, I think they've been placing a new layer onto an old layer of road. But again, replacing roads would be expensive, right? If...
I think all of you would know the FLAMES game played by school students and teenagers. Using this game, they predict the relationship between two persons. F-Friends L-Love A-Affection M-Marriage...
CEans, I thought of declaring this as a CE Lab mini project to be developed by CEans who'd like to contribute to CE. Here are the requirements of the feed...
MANCHESTER, England – Manchester United won the Premier League for the third straight season Saturday after a 0-0 tie with Arsenal. United needed a point to clinch a record-equaling 18th...
how does one decide whether a capacitor is a differentiator or inductor?? the capacitor equation is i = cdv/dt....or equivalently v =(1/c)(integral)i??? i know this is lame..but....i am helpless??