CrazyEngineers
  • Greeting Fellow Crazy Engineers,

Myself Adil from Kerala,Indial.Final year mechanical engineering student. Myself and 4 others have ventured to do a robotics project

The concept is simple fix a wireless camera to the robot which gives a live feed to a java program and to control the robot movement using the keyboard.

We intend to make a robot around 760mm high and 40mm in dia.Its in the form of a cylinder.It weighs around 3 kg. its a three wheeled robot wid seperate drives to the back two wheels and a free to rotate front wheel.Rotation of robot is controlled by rotating the back two wheels at different speeds

THE PROBLEM : could u please suggest what type of motor to use. We used small DC motors in our small projects. But given its weight wat motor i should use. Also please suggest a way in which i can connect the motor to the wheels so that load is less on motor shaft.

Also how do i calculate the torque required as in for the weight of my robot
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • adil.eshack

MemberMar 12, 2008

Greeting Fellow Crazy Engineers,

Myself Adil from Kerala,Indial.Final year mechanical engineering student. Myself and 4 others have ventured to do a robotics project

The concept is simple fix a wireless camera to the robot which gives a live feed to a java program and to control the robot movement using the keyboard.

We intend to make a robot around 760mm high and 40mm in dia.Its in the form of a cylinder.It weighs around 3 kg. its a three wheeled robot wid seperate drives to the back two wheels and a free to rotate front wheel.Rotation of robot is controlled by rotating the back two wheels at different speeds

THE PROBLEM : could u please suggest what type of motor to use. We used small DC motors in our small projects. But given its weight wat motor i should use. Also please suggest a way in which i can connect the motor to the wheels so that load is less on motor shaft.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • adil.eshack

MemberMar 12, 2008

Greeting Fellow Crazy Engineers,

Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberMar 12, 2008

Eek, you've posted everywhere! I've moved this to Project Ideas forum, since we have many robotic related discussions here. Please wait for other CEans to reply 😀
    Cancel
  • ranvir1986

MemberMar 30, 2008

the torque required also depends upon the diameter of the wheels. Smaller wheels require lesser motive force. Do connect the motor straight to the wheels. Use a gear system. The motor used for Vipers in cars is a very powerful yet compact motor. U can also get servo motors that give you as much as 2 kg-m of torque and are very light and run on 6v circuit.
    Cancel
  • akkumon

MemberSep 23, 2009

I consider you to use stepper motor because using it you can precisly control the movement.
    Cancel
  • pranayagarwal

MemberDec 18, 2009

helloo..may u help me in leading forward for this project (matlab controlled robot used for robo soccer). i have basic idea of matlab ,image processing .
    Cancel
  • sasha.pinoyako

MemberJul 19, 2010

heeyy. guys. sasha here. from Philippines. a junior student. can you guys give me some ideas regarding our investigatory project in physical science? our group thinks that robotics is a good one but we dont have any idea about it honestly. thanks😀
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register