Help in buying new Laptop

Hi CEans,
I am thinking of buying a new laptop and doing some research on the products available.
It would be great if you can share your experiences/views.
My requirements are:-
1)Running Eclipse ,Tomcat, Oracle DB one Music Player/Video player at same time .
2) Not much of a Gaming person but still would want 1Gb Graphics card (may be for a movie every week ๐Ÿ˜€)
3)15 inch LED display would be great
4) Good Speakers
5)Windows 7 (any version)
6)Good Battery backup while running software mentioned in point 1.
7)I can spend max of 45000 INR
8) Service of the product plus it should look GOOD ;-)

Help me get the best deal guys.

No reservations about Brand Name. Comfortable with using DELL/ASUS/ACER .

Regards,
Ankur

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, first of all thank you for describing your requirements. It makes easier for us to offer our suggestions. For the budget and the configuration you're looking for; I'd suggest the following :-

#-Link-Snipped-# (Inclusive Of All Taxes)

The machine gets you 4GB DDR3 RAM, which can be upgraded to 8 GB. Plus, 2nd Gen Core i5 ( 2.5 GHz, 3 Mb cache) should be able to run Eclipse, Tomcat, Oracle DB and Music player. 500 Gb SATA HDD should accomodate all of your software and since the prices of external USB hard drives are falling; you shouldn't face any problem with the storage. 64-Bit Home Basic is preinstalled with the machine; but you should first check compatibility with the software that you're planning to install. I think home basic would stupport Oracle DB without any issues; but you better be sure.

15.6" screen would mean you can't expect much from the battery. I've had equally bad experience with all the laptop batteries I've used. So I won't bother too much about it. Batteries are a liability and they need a replacement/upgrade after about 1-1.5 years of use (depending upon your daily use). I used my Dell 15R for about 8-9 hours daily and the battery lost life in about 14 months.

The laptop has NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (1GB memory) and should handle all the complex graphics easily. But again; be ready to sacrifice the battery. All other information is available on above mentioned link. I believe Flipkart sells laptops at a price lesser than markets. So I'd buy from Flipkart.

I hope this helps ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hey #-Link-Snipped-#, I use software like CATIA, PRO-E, Ansys. They are 3D modelling (and analysis) software. My requirements are the same as of Ankur. I want a longer battery life and the laptop should run "fast". I am against Apple because it is notorious of not letting certain software run. I will have to waste time for installing them on Apple. Hence, rightly restricting myself upto a range of INR 45000/-. Screen maximum available in that price range.

P.S: I will again poke you incase of any doubt. Be ready ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mac OSX is an entirely different software and if you want to run Windows applications on it; you'll have to install Windows separately on your Mac or run a virtualization software. That software itself would eat lot of resources and that's why it's not recommended. The positive side of using a mac is ease of use and a longer battery life.

Windows based laptops don't offer battery life; and the ones that promise to offer 6+ hrs battery life are SSD based (needs a double check); and are very pricy.

Other options are available from Lenovo; but they don't come pre-installed with Operating System; which makes them an ideal choice for those who want to run uBuntu or OSX on their laptops. Else, Windows 7 works the best.

Plus, keep in mind that Windows 8 is expected to improve your battery performance. So with a quality hardware bought now, you can expect to enjoy WIN 8 goodness by the end of this year ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    So with a quality hardware bought now, you can expect to enjoy WIN 8 goodness by the end of this year ๐Ÿ˜€
    Which is the time (muhurt) I am planning to buy my first one.

I guess, I will have to forget about battery aspect for the time being ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, I would like you to compare laptops displayed on this page. Like for example #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#.

Compare in terms of processors used, RAM- say "X" GB DDR3, of different laptops etc.. so that I can find the right combination available suiting my requirements ๐Ÿ˜€

Let this be your reference LAPTOPS
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You should be fine with any machine as long as it's 4GB RAM; and if I'm not mistaken, the more the better. CPUs, in my opinion, are highly overrated and most of the processing power goes unused. 90% of the laptops will be used to browser the Internet, watching movies and storing MP3s. No one really needs a high-end machine unless 'gaming' is one of the factors.

If anyone wants to use a laptop for Gaming; I'd suggest investing more in a high end GPU, RAM plus CPU configuration. Or just go with any 'branded' gaming laptops viz. alienware.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    If anyone wants to use a laptop for Gaming; I'd suggest investing more in a high end GPU, RAM plus CPU configuration. Or just go with any 'branded' gaming laptops viz. alienware.
    I am not much into movies or MP3 players. Is gaming equivalent to 3D modelling? I mean the required accessories are the same? or gaming requires better accessories than 3D modelling?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    This is something what we do in 3D modelling and we all know about gaming.

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    How about this #-Link-Snipped-# for Ankur?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd like to believe that Gaming consumes more resources than simple 3D modeling. However, it all depends on the graphics application that you're using. Just check out system requirements for the software that you wish to run. That should give you a fair idea of how your machine should be.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Thanks. I would say in Japanese "Tasukatta Koto Da Ne"
    I have zeroed in on the #-Link-Snipped-# as compared to #-Link-Snipped-#. It is still a couple of months that I will buy one. Will talk to people and keep in mind your advise in above post ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

I suggest you guys to invest bit more & go with Dell XPS. I am suggesting you guys cos you are not into serious gaming. It's one time investment & trust me you will be happy ๐Ÿ˜€

I have Dell XPS 15, back then I paid around 75k. It has i7 740, 4GB RAM, 500 HDD, NVIDIA 435M. Dell XPS has awesome screen + most awesome speakers which makes multimedia experience even more awesome.

XPS series starts with 50k I guess.
  • avii
    avii
    You guys can read my review here : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    Thanks everyone for the inputs.I am currently using the below DELL laptop. The only issue with this one is its heating problem.Although it is not used for watching movies or playing Games still it heats up a lot.
    Anyone tried ASUS /ACER/Samsung laptops?
    I would not want to go for VAIO coz I have had bad experience with Sony.
    Untitled
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Here is the one by SAMSUNG that I have selected. Only drawback is that no expandable ram beyond 4GB. โ€‹

Specifications of Samsung NP300V5A-S0GIN 2nd gen Ci5/4GB/1TB/1GB graphics/Win 7 HPโ€‹

PROCESSOR
    Processor 2nd Generation Core i5
    Variant 2450M
    Chipset Intel HM65
    Brand Intel
    Clock Speed 2.4 GHz
    Cache 3 MB
    โ€‹
    MEMORY
    System Memory 4 GB DDR3
    โ€‹
    STORAGE
    Hardware Interface SATA
    RPM 5400
    HDD Capacity 1 TB
    โ€‹
    OPTICAL DISK DRIVE
    Optical Drive Super Multi Dual Layer Drive
    โ€‹
    PLATFORM
    Architecture 64-bit
    Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium
    โ€‹
    DISPLAY
    Screen Size 15.6 Inch
    Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel
    Screen Type LED HD Display
    โ€‹
    GRAPHICS
    Dedicated Graphics Memory Capacity 1 GB
    Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 520MX
    โ€‹
    INPUT
    Web Camera HD
    Pointer Device Touch Scroll Pad
    Keyboard Island (Chiclet) Keyboard
    โ€‹
    AUDIO
    Internal Mic Yes
    Speakers Stereo Speaker
    Sound SoundAlive
    โ€‹
    COMMUNICATION
    Ethernet 10/100/1000 LAN
    Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth v3.0
    โ€‹
    POWER
    Battery Backup Upto 6hrs
    Power Supply 60 W AC Adapter
    Battery Cell 6 Cell
    โ€‹
    PORTS/SLOTS
    USB Port Yes
    Mic In Yes
    RJ45 LAN Yes
    HDMI Port Yes
    VGA Port Yes
    Multi Card Slot Yes
    โ€‹
    SECURITY
    Lock Port Kensington Lock Port
    โ€‹
    MACHINE DIMENSIONS
    Color Black
    โ€‹
    WARRANTY

1 Year Domestic Pick and Drop Limited Warranty
    โ€‹
    IN THE BOX
    Sales Package Laptop,Battery,AC Adapter,User Guides and Manuals
    โ€‹
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# Please have a look at the specifications of #-Link-Snipped-# I think it is the best among all variants. The expensive versions have less facilities than this one!๐Ÿ˜จ

But can we expand its RAM above 4GB (do we need it?)? Nothing is mentioned there.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    And if we do require more than 4 GB RAM, then I am confused in between these two.
    andโ€‹
    #-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#โ€‹
    โ€‹
    Also which one is advanced and required..Intel Core i5 or Intel core i7?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    And if we do require more than 4 GB RAM, then I am confused in between these two.
    andโ€‹
    #-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#โ€‹
    โ€‹
    Also which one is advanced and required..Intel Core i5 or Intel core i7?
    The question first needs to be answered is - why do you think you need more than 4GB? As I said earlier, if your budget allows; the bigger RAM is the better.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Money is no problem. I have a rough line of INR 45000. 4GB RAM, i5 processor =>40000, while 6GB RAM i7 processor =>51000. So with just 6000, I am getting advanced version. Why not go with it? Ain't I thinking on right lines? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ... you can; but you'll be wasting money if you aren't going to utilize all the extra 2GB of RAM and i7 processing power. Why not invest in more storage or accessories?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Why not invest in more storage or accessories?
    Good point. The Samsung laptop already has 1TB Hard disk. So no point in getting more storage space. How about high capacity graphics card?

As far as specs from Flipkart are concerned, Samsung is offering me advanced things at a low cost. How about ASUS, ACER and other brands? Is Samsung trustworthy?

What does #-Link-Snipped-# thinks about it?

#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks 10000 saved ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : The whole process of gadget selection is similar to traveling. If you know that your destination is 'Mumbai' and if you're starting from 'Nagpur' - you can choose between railway travel, air-travel, bus-travel and so on. But if you don't know where you are going; it's totally pointless to talk about which means you're opting for to travel.

Similarly, you should first determine your needs with your laptop for the future (~3 years). Are you planning to play video games on your laptop? Are you planning to go for high-end graphics/video processing tools? If not, you'll be wasting money on GPUs. But if you are; you should invest more in GPUs than anything else; while keeping the rest of the hardware compatible.

I've even seen those who primarily use laptops for watching videos online and checking mails go for a 1GB NVIDIA graphcis card. Pure waste of money! If I'm going to watch videos on my laptop; I'd rather invest money in getting a high-quality external speaker set to enhance my overall video watching experience.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I kinda agree with the #-Link-Snipped-#! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# The thing is I do know what hardware does what. Anyways I will use it for part modelling. My friends suggested me that I require only 2GB RAM for running mechanical modelling software.

Meanwhile the samsung laptop that I have selected provides me with all of my needs. i5 processor 1TB hard disk, 4GB RAM. That too in ~INR 39,500. It has good speakers and mic, HD camera.

So I think I should stop my search here ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#: Now I have heard that laptop gets heated up. This is definitely a problem with SONY VAIO, ACER and HP. Is it a problem with Samsung too? Just take a final call Praveen and check the specs if everything is okay- #-Link-Snipped-#
    Issue
    #-Link-Snipped-# The thing is I do know what hardware does what. Anyways I will use it for part modelling. My friends suggested me that I require only 2GB RAM for running mechanical modelling software.

Meanwhile the samsung laptop that I have selected provides me with all of my needs. i5 processor 1TB hard disk, 4GB RAM. That too in ~INR 39,500. It has good speakers and mic, HD camera.

So I think I should stop my search here ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#: Now I have heard that laptop gets heated up. This is definitely a problem with SONY VAIO, ACER and HP. Is it a problem with Samsung too? Just take a final call Praveen and check the specs if everything is okay- #-Link-Snipped-#
    Will confirm you tomorrow man! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen-Kumar
    Will confirm you tomorrow man! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Compare Samsung with other brands. Waiting for your review. Take your time ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    According to my friend, ASS of Samsung is not so good as compared to others. Since I don't have personal experience, I cannot say anything. According to me :

Dell > Sony > Asus

I wouldn't go with samsung if I were you.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Got this review-

Samsung is not famed for quality laptops.
    I do not know why people are saying this. Any one for or against this statement?
    Issue
    Got this review-
    I do not know why people are saying this. Any one for or against this statement?
    Due to their heat! ๐Ÿ˜”

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I am working in student database management system a web application in j2ee. I have a problem with Login and Logout. When I Login into my profile on...
Protectoplas, earlier a fiber glass company now offers CAD solution in almost all file types. It has now announced CNC precision plastic and wood cutting services. Here is the news...
CEans, We're happy to announce the CE Advance EyeCareยฎ technology that automatically determines vision problems. The technology has been developed after 18 years of intense research at CE Labs. If...
Hmm, Some experimentation going on CE. ๐Ÿ˜, the layout is fluid and then my alien spaceship seems to be taking a tunr, is this a APR 1 special?
CEans, Are you a regular VoiCE reader? Yes / No. Ok let's check out how many CEans regularly read the VoiCE posts and keep themselves updated with the latest news...