Heat transfer coefficient

Hi!
I was wondering if someone could help us?

We've got an odd heat exchanger (The nearest description i can come up with is a multipass cross flow) and when we use it we get massive differences in the U values we calculate...

Every time we change the flowrates or inlet temperatures of either of the fluids the U value changes. We were just wondering if this was normal or due to some miscalculation or physical goings on that we havent addressed?

I think we may be operating in the laminar regime so would this make the U values vary greatly...?

Hope someone can kick off the debate!

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The term 'U' means the Overall Coefficient Of Heat Transfer of the Heat Exchanger.
    The value of 'U' depends on the followinfg factors:

1. The Specific Heats of both the fluids flowing through the heat exchanger.

2. The individual coeff. of heat transfer of the inisde and outside fluid films.

3. The inlet and the outlet tempreatures of the each fluid.

4. The difference in the tempreatures between the entering fluids ( Ti1 and ti1)

5. The flowrate of the fluids passsing.

From the above mentioned factors, it is very clear that when you vary the flowrates of the fluids the value of 'U' will change. This is because the time for heat transfer between the fluids will change due to the changed flowrate.
    Secondly, when the inlet tempreature of either of the fluids is changed, the tempeature difference between the fluids is changed and due the varied tempreature gradient created, the rate of heat transfer between them will also change.
    Both the things are quite evident feom the above factors of dependency of the overall heat transfer coefficient.
    Thus when in your case when you vary either of the factors, the value of 'U' changes accordingly. It is simple physical phenomena. I think the above explaination must have cleared the doubt. There is nothing that you are missing in your calculations.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Maybe we went to different universities, Rohan 😀
    The overall coefficient is basically the sum of the film coefficients and the thermal resistance of the tube material.
    The overall duty of the exchanger can be calculated by Q = UA(LMTD) where Q is the duty in watt, A is the transfer area and LMTD is the log mean temperature difference. Since you did not respond to Rohan I'd need to see what you did with your calcs first.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hiii friends.. my name is pranav. I m from Chennai, India, now in first year of engineering our website:
This a problem I need to solve for class. A four-pole 460v motor has a starting torque of 200lb/ft. Predict it's starting torque if EL is reduced by 10%(EL= line...
hi all CE Coude anyone tell me what is the wattgae & voltage of laser light in computer mouse??😕😕
Hello, I am interested doing my higher studies in Stuttgart, Germany. The basic query I have is that will I be able to get job after my completion of the...
hello... i have this kind of problem. when i boot up my computer, it has a removable disk in my devices and removable storage. what i did was "safely remove...