Have you ever used floppy disks?

In the digital world, things are getting extinct at an unimaginable rate.

I remember using a 3.5inch floppy disk to transfer data from a friend's computer to mine. That was around 10 years back.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what would have fit in a floppy disk at that time? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
Today, I think even DVDs are becoming insufficient to store data.

If you have used floppy disks too, post your comments in this thread. ๐Ÿ˜›
Share your experience.

Replies

• whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    I am still using floppy disks in some of my Hardware Lab Practicals. we wrote couple of programs in ALP(assembly language) to read boot sector and root directory of a Floppy Disk.๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, yeah! I'd bring a set of 10 floppy disks to store stuff. However, the floppies would eventually get corrupt in about an years' time ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Whiz: Really? Thats awesome. I suppose you are conserving the digital values. ๐Ÿ˜
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    @AKD....yeah๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I've used floppy disks during my school days.. I used them for storing my assignments and some presentations I made..

That was when I started learning what a computer was, and what can be done with it..

And one advantage to floppy disks was, we can come to school without finishing the assignment, and can always tell, "The floppy got corrupted".

The teachers always seemed to believe it. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    even i used floppy discs for assignments in my school time(7th and 8th standard) ๐Ÿ˜
    every summer we were given assignments and we had to submit most of them ,which were presentations, in the floppy discs ๐Ÿ˜€ every summer me and my sis together would spend around 4-6 floppy discs ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i have used flopy disk when i was in 10th ,but most of the time i faced the floopy disk corrupted.. ๐Ÿ˜”
    have any one use zip disk ..which is larger than floopy disk aroud 3.5 MB data?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    cooldudeiet
    i have used flopy disk when i was in 10th ,but most of the time i faced the floopy disk corrupted.. ๐Ÿ˜”
    have any one use zip disk ..which is larger than floopy disk aroud 3.5 MB data?
    I've seen my dad use a zip disk, though I never used it myself.
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    i used it till my 8th class and i still have the floppy disks and the drive which works but partially
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I used them about 8 years back to play dave game but now 8gb pen drive are n't enough to copy a game.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Ditto here!

I have played Dave game for couple of times!!

But ignoring the magnetizing effect I spoiled many floppies by magnetizing them.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Yes I have used them and not only the 3.5 inch ones but also the 8 and the 5.5 inch versions.
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    Nowadays I m using Floppy disks as coffee coasters!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have used punched cards, punched tapes, 8" floppies (they did flop), 5"ones and the 3.5" ones. I still have a lot of those with many programmes we developed in basic. I still use slide rules occasionally more to keep my hand in. Also good old paper and pencil for quick order of magnitude calculations.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've used the 5" and 3.5" ones. I've also watched movies on video 'cassettes'. ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    Yeah! Used them during early school days. We had a xerox and a printer shop at that time and ours was the only one in the area. Many used to carry Resumes and other documents in their Floppy and get it for printing(1/4th of the time it used to be corrupted). All that i knew was to insert it and open the document and print it. It was only in my High school we were taught Computers. Then, me and my friends used to break the floppy and tried to see what exactly is inside that black rectangle.
    I also believe that many of us would have looked through the disc(thinking that something would be visible ๐Ÿ˜› ) by sliding the aluminium plate at the head of the floppy.๐Ÿ˜
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Used to submit 1st semester C programs.
    and later last to last year broke lots of Office Floppy disk to watch solar eclipse ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

The_Big_K
    I've used the 5" and 3.5" ones. I've also watched movies on video 'cassettes'. ๐Ÿ˜’
    video 'cassettes', reminds me , *watching action packed Mithun Chakravarti/ Dharmendra movies on VCR๐Ÿ˜
  • gohm
    gohm
    I don't use them now, but I do remember using the older, larger floppy disks, as well as the dat cartridges.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, Can any one explain what is fan stacking which is used for cooling technique? how we can arranged more then one fan in an motherboard so that they...
I am sure, most or all of us has used a Classic Cassette Walkman (introduced by Sony) some years ago. After 30 long years of the advent of Walkmans, Sony...
Inspired by the open-source 3D printer MakerBot, this machine is made of more than 2,400 bricks and runs on three NXT Intelligent Bricks and nine NXT motors. A PC running...
The Monster Meter is monster detection in the palm of your hands. Now you can scan any room and verify if there are monsters hiding in that room or if...
Ray Ozzie, Microsoft's CTO who stepped down last week after taking the position of Chief Software Architect from Bill Gates in 2008, is leaving Microsoft in next few months. Ray...