hacked!!my new website hacked

my newsite freegovernmentjobalerts.com that was developed 2 days ago was hacked....what to do? i put lots of efforts to develop the site???? all my efforts are in vain.....

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I can Help. andenagaveni24 which technology it was in? drupal? WordPress? Jpoomla. Just write here. I have been seeing many of them oflate. Lets fight it togather.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do you have a backup of all your data?

We need to know some more information about your website such as the software used for data management (CMS, Forum, Directory etc.). A quick look tells me you're using WordPress. If right, simply login to your website and then update your password. Use a very strong password, difficult to guess. Also report the issue to your web host so that they can look into it.

This is one of the prime reasons I recommend backing up your data periodically and always host your website with a trusted website.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I get it that many of the sites are coded in PHP. a few days ago, my friend who has knowledge about ethical hacking was telling me.

Will simply reporting the matter to web host solve the matter?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I don't know much about WordPress, but then I would recommend some application which would allow only 3-5 times of attempts to log-in if it exceeds then it will send you a mail and you have to take the necessary steps for it.
    Make sure your password is atleast 8 characters, alphanumeric in both cases and try to include rest characters if allowed.
    Keep some tool which will allow you to monitor recent visits including the IP address, make sure they are stored in some sort of log.
    Make sure you donot neglect you database security, please make all the efforts to back up your databases.
    Allow no injections.
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    thank god..my website is now working ......relieved from tension now....๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Share what you found and how you solved the problem so that other readers can benefit.
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    when i found that my website is hacked i immediately reported this to my web hosting owner...he solved the problem....
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey what was the problem?
    I mean how did you find your website got hacked , password change, any message ???

Just curious to know
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    i visit my site everyday and know from which places visits are there for my site.....but the other day when i opened my site i found that its hacked and shocked to see that...i immediately informed my web hosting owner and he solved my problem....he didnt say me how it happened .....
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    What will you do in following conditions?

1. Your website is hacked. The web hosting owner cannot solve your problem and you have got data back-up.
    2. Your website is hacked. The web hosting owner cannot solve your problem and you have NO data back-up.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    What will you do in following conditions?

1. Your website is hacked. The web hosting owner cannot solve your problem and you have got data back-up.
    2. Your website is hacked. The web hosting owner cannot solve your problem and you have NO data back-up.
    Restoring from the backup isn't always the 'solution' fix a hacked website. But it's always advisable to have data backup. If your host cannot provide help you'll have to fix the problem on your own. However most of the hack related problems are usually solved by the web host admins.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    what may be the actual reasons for such hacks in general cases?? untrusted web host or insecure site or any others??
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    lovejeet
    what may be the actual reasons for such hacks in general cases?? untrusted web host or insecure site or any others??
    There is one reason which I can spot. Some of the websites are made in PHP. It is easier to change/ update your website however it is equally risky as some people may hack your website.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    sorry issue but please elaborate this. i didn't got why php, being easier to change n update is more prone to hacking???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    General hack occurs in different ways -
    • Your directories aren't secure. The most usual security hole is with the r/w access for the directories. Directories with 777 attribute are open to accepting any data from the external world. But lot of new webmasters don't pay attention to it.
    • Sometimes there's a problem with the way code is written. A hack could simply be a bug in the software that crashes the system; and the hacker finds it out.
    • There's a technique called Database Injection. You can read about it online; there are several sources that talk about it.
    • Simplest hack: Guessing the admin's password. Admin's password, once broken can give full access to the hacker to the website exposing the complete information.
    However, that's just an overview of the things. There are sophisticated hackers that know the details of the the servers and systems and know how to get through the firewalls and gain root access to the system. But discussion those techniques is beyond the scope of this site.
    Then how do you go about preventing the hacks?
    The first rule is that you should choose your web host wisely. I can tell you from my personal experience that a good web host is a *MUST* for any critical website. Use trusted software on your server and keep an eye on the latest security patches. Install them regularly and keep the server up to date.
    Server security is a process that's only learned through experience.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    lovejeet
    sorry issue but please elaborate this. i didn't got why php, being easier to change n update is more prone to hacking???
    Yep, read the above reply of Biggie. You see a good web host is must. Looking at my meager capabilities, I left the job of looking for a web host. Actually I dropped my plan of starting a website! ๐Ÿ˜›

Between, Some computer guy might be a proper person to help into your PHP query. He will help you technically more. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Yep, read the above reply of Biggie. You see a good web host is must. Looking at my meager capabilities, I left the job of looking for a web host. Actually I dropped my plan of starting a website! ๐Ÿ˜›

Between, Some computer guy might be a proper person to help into your PHP query. He will help you technically more. ๐Ÿ˜€
    What were you trying to do? If you want to quickly get started with a blog, simply register a domain and integrate it with your wordpress.com account. You will get rid of all the hosting related hassles.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yep that is what I am thinking about. Just planning about what topic the blog should be focused at. Will start something soon ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    thanks biggie, nice explanation. 1 more doubt- what are the services a web host provides except web hosting???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovejeet
    thanks biggie, nice explanation. 1 more doubt- what are the services a web host provides except web hosting???
    Totally depends on who your web hosting provider is. For a typical shared hosting service, you should get phone/email/chat support and cPanel. It should solve all your basic hosting needs.

Hosting provider may also offer data backup and domain registration services.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    i mean what are the general services we should be looking at?? And, like generally if you have to use voip on ce, how it will be implemented??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovejeet
    i mean what are the general services we should be looking at?? And, like generally if you have to use voip on ce, how it will be implemented??
    The answer depends on what your web requirements are. Shared hosting is different from VPS and Dedicated or Cloud hosting. VoIP is not directly related to hosting. I think you're mixing two things. Looks like we can discuss it in a separate thread specific to your needs.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    ya, m confused a bit. how can Voip be implemented in a website??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovejeet
    ya, m confused a bit. how can Voip be implemented in a website??
    Okay, the most ideal place to look for answers would be: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    thanks bigk. got my reply. but i just posted the same question without reading the reply. can you please just remove it off from there??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Students worldwide to be awarded scholarships for innovative designs in 3D printing contest Frankfurt โ€“ 9th September 2011 โ€“ (NASDAQ: SSYS) Stratasys Inc. today announced the launch of its Dimension...
all aspiring Electronics engineers, just watch the photos, I feel you may get an idea of what you can do in electronics project.
can some smells be recorded? i just imagine how amazing we can see a movie, with 3d effects, great sound effects and we can smell what we see in movie....
hey friends this thread is for to post your dreams about future world my dream is this i want to see world without petrol bunks cars are going in air...
Hello CEans,๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ It has been a quite long time and i regret for not being active in CE.From now on there will be a regular contribution from my side. So...